Thursday, June 14, 2007

Where's My Music, iTunes?

I bought an iPod last year. It is possibly the BEST investment I have made since.....since....well, it was a great buy. I listen to my iPod EVERYWHERE I go....in the car, at the gym, on a plane, walking around the city, walking from our condo to the parking lot (I swear that the other people in my building think I'm anti-social), etc.
So I've downloaded a ton of songs from CDs to my iPod as well as singles that are not worth buying a whole CD for via the iTunes store. I'm talking about singles that I have loved since the 80s that I probably wouldn't dare go into a music store to buy a CD for without some embarrassment (ie - Expose). I thought the iTunes store had everything - rarities, b-sides, etc. to save me from those embarassing situations. But imagine my surprise at how easy it was for me to buy 'Respect Yourself' by Bruce Willis and June Pointer (of Pointer Sisters fame) but not 'We Don't Have To (Take Our Clothes Off)' by Jermaine Stewart or '(My Girl Wants To) Party All the Time' by Eddie Murphy. It's a travesty. Here are some other songs that I wanted to get off iTunes only to find that they don't have it (and no, I don't want the karaoke version):
'My Sweet Lord' by George Harrison
'Breakin' - Ain't No Stopping Us' by Ollie and Jerry
'Feel Good Time' by P!nk (I bought the Charlie's Angels 2 Soundtrack just for this song)

If anyone knows where I can find these songs, including Jermaine Stewart and Eddie Murphy, I'm open to suggestions.

5 comments:

  1. This travesty also irks me. I mean, they don't even have music inspired by the motion picture "Breakin"?? That's an American classic. iTunes has nothing by Prick, not all Erasure albums, no "Return of the Mac", and no "Too Much Passion". But they have the duet by Crystal Bernard and Peter Cetera??? Peter was obviously hard up for money when he made that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of bit torrents. But it's p2p sharing so I'm not sure how many ppl online would have Jermaine Stewart. It's not the same as orig "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off" ...but Gym Class Heroes kinda samples/pays an ode to it in one of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need originals - not samples...it's just not the same. Next time I'm at the softball bar, I'm going to ask the DJ if he can burn Jermaine Stewart for me because he was playing it on Wednesday night when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So one of the other groups that they didn't have on iTunes was the Travelling Wilburys. As of this week, that has changed and I was able to download the two songs that I really like from them, "Handle With Care" and "End of the Line." Yaye! Now let's get 'Breakin'' out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New memory lane downloads for me:

    Believe it or not (theme from The Greatest American Hero)

    Maniac (oh yeah - Flashdance!)

    And the Asia fix:

    Heat of the Moment

    AND

    Only Time Will Tell

    I love you, iPod.

    ReplyDelete