Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Perfect Pedicure

I have been the recipient of some fabulous pedicures. I have also been the recipient of some horrible pedicures. But more often than not, the majority have been good.
I never really started getting pedicures until I moved down to DC. It used to be more of a 'special occasion' thing with me. Now, it's more out of necessity because I just don't like it when my toe nails are bare and naked. Thankfully, toe nail polish stays on longer than manicures so I don't have to get them done as often. (My fingers are still on the 'special occasion' policy.)
So being that I've received numerous pedicures for the past five to six years, I have my favorite places because they're just so great at it....
In New York City, I love Rehoboth Spa Lounge, 14th Street & 6th Ave. I first went there when it was just Rehoboth Nails but I guess now it's a full fledged spa...but they are still reasonably priced - $29 pedicure, which includes a light massage, peppermint oil and the hot towel on the calves - which is always a BONUS. And when they bring you to the drying booth, they massage your shoulders - an unexpected super bonus!
But since I don't get a lot of opportunities to get into New York (only for my haircuts), I have had to search for another place closer to where I stay when I'm up in New Jersey. And I have found it - the Nail Spa II in West Caldwell, NJ. This place is new and I was lucky to have found it when they were having their grand opening. Their spa pedicure is about $25 and it includes exfoliation with sea salts, foot and leg massage, callus shaving, and the BONUS hot towel. But the last time I was there, at no extra cost, I got a HOT STONE massage on my feet. SUPER DUPER BONUS! They also ask if you want to add on extra services and because I'm pretty rough with my feet, I had asked them for the callus remover treatment - for the balls of my feet. And guess what - after pouring something liquid on my callus and then putting some parafin foot warmers on for about 20 minutes, I left there with NEW feet! I couldn't believe it. They totally won me over with that. I can hardly wait until my next visit.
When I go to Indiana, it's a crap shoot out there - they even have places that don't have nail dryers....I think that's just ridiculous. I did find a small spa that has girls that can do manicures but I guess it's rare that they're asked to do them. The one gal I had did a great job...I don't think I'll go back though - she had to go digging for a nail dryer. (I liked looking at her tattoos.)
But as I sit here now, I am in desperate need of a pedicure and I have to go to my local nail place - Tysons Nails. I really like them - the girls are friendly, they have the callus shaver, but they don't do hot towels (their only downfall). But my last visit there has left me more than a little hesitant to go back. I left there with a sore and bleeding big toe (from the girl cutting the cuticle too deep) and my heel bleeding from overzealousness with the callus shaver. I really thought I was going to go through a Paula Abdul with an infected toe nail. Thankfully, the toes are better - thanks to the Nail Spa in NJ.
So what makes a perfect pedicure for me - reasonable prices, nice people, a callus shaver, light massage, hot towels, good reading material, and no blood. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

2 comments:

  1. Because of your raving review of the Nail Spa in W. Caldwell, I'm going to have to give it a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Jen regarding Nail Spa. Great service and the warm stone treatment is the best!

    ReplyDelete