Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm a Minority....Again

Friday night brought Amanda and myself to our favorite karaoke bar - Rock-It Grill (in Old Town Alexandria). We haven't been there in awhile and it felt good to open up that front door and let the years of smoke just seep into your lungs. Sniff....ahhhh.
The reason why we love the place so much is because not only is the karaoke on a real stage with a dance floor, but it's a GREAT place for people watching. In the past year, we have seen softball teams, bachelorette parties, birthday parties, average Joes, and average schmoes. But the group that takes the cake in that bar....the military (followed closely by gals that are looking to hook up with a nice looking military boy).
There was also another classification of people, we noticed, that I would like to introduce that didn't seem very dominant in the past - the tattoo people. I don't know if there's a tight correlation between the military and tattoo people but there just seemed to be an overabundance of people with some kind of tattoo(s) on their person. And this is where I placed another check on my list of things for which I am a minority.
A couple sitting in the table next to us were all covered in tattoos. I saw a naked chic with a spiky garter belt, flames, words, symbols...and that was just on the one gal's arm. And just when you thought that maybe she was someone you didn't want to mess with, she had Hello Kitty 's face tattooed on her wrist to show off her softer side...I think. The guy was covered in flames, symbols and had paw prints up his neck, leading up to his ear. Yikes. We were sitting in a high traffic area so we got to see quite a few people and their ink....including a Josh Grobin singing military guy with colored flames down his arm..ooooh.
In the past weekend, it just seems like I am now surrounded by tattoo people. At a birthday party on Saturday night, there was a lady (whom I would NEVER want to mess with) that had both arms tattooed, in color, like sleeves. How much did that hurt?
It got me thinking about what I would ever get tattooed on my body, if I had the nerves. I would probably get a star in a place that would not stretch overly much through the years and where my Mom could never see it. But who am I kidding....I would really be like Phoebe, in 'Friends,' where she goes to get the tattoo but manages to come back with a dot because she got scared in the last second...yup, that would be me.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would ever get a tattoo. One, I am not really a big fan of pain. Two, I doubt anything I would pick would really stand the test of time. I hear horror stories about people picking looney tunes characters and other dumb stuff and then later having to wear long sleeves/long pants, etc. all of the time because they're too embarrassed about a decision they made when they were 18. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So flames are the in tattoos these days??? I always have to laugh at the dudes with the arm band tattoos...they weren't even cool when they were "in".

    ReplyDelete