Friday, June 29, 2007

Pick Me (Jen) for the World Series of Pop Culture

I was watching VH1 last night and they had a marathon of the 2006 World Series of Pop Culture. When it originally ran in 2006, I had no idea that it was even going on - that there was such a thing as the 2006 World Series of Pop Culture. Well, I take that back. I think Amanda had mentioned something about a casting call in New York (I think). But even so - I didn't know it was going to be the way it was. I think I could've kicked some major ass on that show. And now the 2007 World Series of Pop Culture is airing in about two weeks - where was I this time for the casting call?

Well, in case anyone hears about the 2008 casting, here is a highlight of my qualifications to be on the show:

TV: an uncanny knowledge of what happens in an episode just by reading the TV Guide description. Shows include, but are not limited to: The Cosby Show (pre-cousin Pam because the show just wasn't the same after that), The Brady Bunch (even the ones with Cousin Oliver), Little House on the Prarie (even when Charles and Caroline left the prarie to Laura, Almanzo, Rose and Jenny), Facts of Life (pre-Pippa because the show kind of went downhill from there), Different Strokes, Friends, Will & Grace, GI Joe, mid-late 80s General Hospital, late 80s-90s Days of Our Lives, etc.
Let me hit you with some (useless) knowledge:
Name all four outlaws from the A-Team - Face, Murdoch, BA and Hannibal
Favorite GI Joe episode - When Cobra kidnapped some of the Joes' families and brainwashed them into carrying out an evil plot to get a valuable, but deadly chemical. And Shipwreck's nephew was the last one to actually zap out of the brainwash.
Celebrity Pop stars to appear on Facts of Life: DeBarge and Stacey Q
Who played Jenny on Little House: Shannen Doherty
The only Brady Bunch song that doesn't appear on their CD: '(Let Me Hear Some of That) Good Time Music'
Who is He-Man's ghostly sidekick: Orko (Battle Cat was his 'steed')

Thunder Cats battle cry: 'Thunder Cats....HOOOOOOO!'


Movies: not my strongest category (this is where Amanda would come in) but I have seen a lot of movies and I like the 80s cheesy ones.
Who was Yentil - Babs Streisand
Four main characters in Footloose - Ariel, Ren, Willard and Rusty (only Melissa knows that Ariel's ex boyfriend is Chuck)
Other lesser known movie that a young SJParker was in - 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'
Karate Kid II theme song - 'Glory of Love'
Key Line in 'The Goonies' - "Sloth Love Chunk"
Other stripper chic in 'Flashdance' - Cynthia Rhodes (aka - Mrs Richard Marx)
Other stuff you've seen her in - 'Dirty Dancing, ' 'Stayin' Alive,' and the reincarceration of Animotion ('Room to Move')

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.


Music: I love all music except country. Especially 80s music. I've listened to music from when I can remember - Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel, ABBA, Johnny Cash, New Edition, grunge, rock, alternative, new wave - love it all (except country).
Name some one hit wonders - Scritti Politti (I've Got the Perfect Way), Dexi's Midnight Runners, Thomas Dolby, Falco (Amadeus), Nena, Eddie Murphy, Jermaine Stewart, Ollie & Jerry, Bruce Willis
Who did Patty Smythe from Scandal marry - John MacEnroe
What song played while Ren was on the tractor playing chicken in Footloose - 'I Need a Hero' - Bonnie Tyler
What song played when the Reverend caught Ariel dancing in Footloose - 'Dancing in the Sheets' - Shalamar



Fashion Trends: keds, day-glo, friendship beads, friendship bracelets, slap on bracelets, leggings, Wigwam socks, krimped hair....must I go on.

So here is just a sampling of what I could do for a team in the World Series of Pop Culture, should I ever make it on. I do seem to know a lot about Footloose. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I did get the casting info about the original world series of pop culture but didn't pursue. It's a shame because we would have been great. I have a lot of random knowledge, but the most random is that I can usually tell you who is in a movie and what it is about even if I have never seen it - I get it mainly from movie trailers. I don't even try. It just happens. I used to be great with the music too, but somewhere along the way, that slipped a little. If you ask me about any pop from the '80s, though, I'm there. I lived for Friday Night Videos and Casey Kasem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for the casting call. I love love love the host of the show...Pat Kiernan. I woke up to him every morning when we lived in the city. I miss my NY1. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I remember that the official name of that Bonnie Tyler song is "Holding Out for a Hero." It's actually in my workout mix. And it was my most impressive piano solo in 1985.

    ReplyDelete