Monday, June 25, 2007

THOSE people

I know that the title to this one could point to any number of groups of people that we like to point out and say, 'Oh, they're one of THOSE...' But today, the 'THOSE' that I'm pointing out are those that hop on the elevator only to go up, or down, one floor. ONE floor. Unless you are physically disabled (and if I'm in a 'not so giving mood,' I usually want to see that you are visably disabled), I think you can hike up, or down, one flight of stairs.
When these people get on the elevator and push the next floor above or below where we're currently at, I immediately roll my eyes (I think this is now a learned response) and look for any reason why this person could not walk up the stairs. In the unofficial survey that I have going on in my head, the main reason why these people can't seem to walk up, or down, the stairs is due to being overweight (both slight and overly). But then you would think, if you're even slightly overweight, wouldn't you think that taking the stairs (even one flight) every day might help get you in slightly better shape or at least make you feel a little better about yourself? Sometimes these overweight people mask the reason why they can't walk up, or down, the stairs with their rolling laptop bags. Now there's an excuse:
'My 10-15 lb. laptop roller bag is prohibiting me from taking the stairs. '
How about throwing your laptop bag in a backpack and hiking it? That's what I do.
And for those people that are only going down one flight, that's just inexcusable. ONE floor. Going down in the easy part...it's the going up that can be trying.
This has always been one of my pet peeves....cause it only delays the elevator from getting me up to my floor - a legitimate four flights up from the ground floor, which is also the top floor in the building.

2 comments:

  1. I SOOOO hear you! When I am riding in with Carrie, she usually has to hold me back from assaulting "those people." This is usually an issue in the garage elevator. For security purposes, the doors to each floor from the stairs are locked from the outside, so you have to take the elevator for even a trip to the second floor, unless you planned to just hang out in the stairwell all day or have someone let you in (it still sucks when you find yourself on the "local," stopping at every floor). But the people that take the elevator from the lobby to the first floor of the garage - COME ON!!! There is practically smoke coming out of my ears and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the dirty look I give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny - I didn't even think about it as taking the 'local' route in elevator land. Put me on 'express' please.
    The thing that targeted this response from me today was because I got on the elevator this morning and I was totally on local (every floor) and I could find no physical deformity on floor gal #2 and as for floor gal #3, she probably should've just taken the stairs to justify the dunkin' donuts she was carrying. I mean, that's eating-balance...I will eat my donuts proudly cause I took the stairs instead of the elevator. At least that's how I think. Just like yesterday - I will eat my munchkins because I'm playing in two soccer games. It all works out.

    ReplyDelete