Monday, June 25, 2007

Drive Bys

Don't you often wonder what people do in their car while driving to and fro...besides talk on their phone and applying make-up? I do.
When I drive just about anywhere, I have my music turned up (usually coming from my iPod) and I like to sing-along. I think a lot of people sing along to their music but I especially like to sing along because I like to think that 'American Idol' is going on in my car and I'm beating out the competition with my song choices.
However, when I'm driving to work and I look over into other people's vehicles, I don't see a lot of people singing along. It could be because they're listening to talk radio or they're probably just on their phone. And then I feel silly for singing along to the music in my car. But sometimes, the music just draws you in. For instance, you're driving along and what comes on - a classic power ballad. And by power, I'm talking flare and dramatics.
Amanda and I were driving along one fine, sunny afternoon when 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' came on. This is a GREAT, classic, power ballad. Heads and upper torsos were swaying, hands were waving, we were singing to the heavens and the heavens loved us! But sometimes you get so caught up in the performance that accidents happen. No, I did not get into an accident while driving but Amanda hit her hand pretty hard on the window support while whipping out her arm to demonstrate the dramatics of the song. Did she stop to tend to her wound? No way - she went on and performed to the end....AND THEN we laughed and talked about the hand wound. (The dra-mah also takes over for 'All Cried Out' by Lisa, Lisa)
So this is why I'm peering into other people's vehicles while I drive - to see if I can see other people singing. I don't find it too often and when I'm coming up on a stop light, I tend to either look the other way and keep singing , stop singing, or 'American Idol' becomes 'Making the Band' and I become the drummer and I start tapping my hands on the steering wheel to the music....this is especially effective for the 'working man, fist pumping music.'
And now that I've finished a semester of hip-hop dance class, sometimes 'American Idol' turns into 'So You Think You Can Dance' - overall, I'd say my car is a pretty fun place to be.
So I wonder - am I a dying breed of car performers?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely a car performer. BUT unless I am with someone like Jen and we are yucking it up together, I stop the singing when I hit a stoplight or anytime my performing is too obvious. I am not sure why I do this - nothing to be embarrassed about. But I still do. Kind of like when the Michael Bolton character rolls up his window when the flower guy walks by his car in Office Space. Except (with a few exceptions) I am not typically listening to gangster rap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often get caught singing in my car by random other car drivers or pedestrians. Sometimes I wave at them but definitely give them a smile. However, I cannot think of the last time I caught someone else singing in their car...it's definitely a dying breed taken over by the cell phonewhores

    ReplyDelete