Friday, June 29, 2007

Wannabe Wordsmiths

Okay, I admit it. I watched a few minutes of the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King Live. And I had a couple of observations. The first was how much Paris was concentrating on trying to sound smart. The second was how much she likes the word “literally.” (I literally cried in my bed . . . I was literally terrified, etc.). Of course, I am paraphrasing, but you get the idea. By my count, she used the word at least four times, and I only caught half of the interview. Her use of the word was not entirely wrong – it’s not as if she said she was “literally scared to death” (to which I would respond, no, you were figuratively scared to death), but I get the feeling she just latched onto that word one day and decided she was going to throw it into her vernacular like a “like” or an “um.” She overuses it without really knowing what it means.

I’ve also noticed a growing trend of misusing the words “badly” and “myself.” I constantly hear people say that they “feel badly” about something or for someone. But unless they have problems with their nervous systems, I am pretty sure they mean that they “feel bad.” An old fashioned adjective may not be as fancy as an adverb, but it does happen to be correct in this context. After all, you wouldn’t say you felt sadly. Yet, someone seemed to think that adding more letters would make it sound better. Not so.

“Myself” is another one that seems to be frequently misused. I hear people say things like “if you have any questions, contact so-and-so or myself.” It’s like someone had this crazy epiphany one day, “Hey! You know what would sound smarter? Myself!!” But there’s nothing wrong with “me.” Myself is a reflexive pronoun. Here’s an example sentence, “I wrote this ridiculous grammar snob post all by myself.”

5 comments:

  1. Maybe Paris got 'literally' from the prison word-a-day toilet paper and on one of her 'soul searching' days, when she wasn't curled up in the fetal position crying about how unfair life is, she decided she was going to replace 'that's hot' with 'literally.' That's my theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you kill me :) (figuratively, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Kim regarding the misuse of "110%" . . .

    I know 110% exists. Like, next year's forecast is 100% of this year's forecast. But, "I'm gonna give it 110%." Umm, no you're not...you only have 100% of anything to give. I'd even accept, "I'm gonna give it 110% more effort than last year's effort, which was only 50%." But, who says that? People mean, "I'm gonna give you more than I have." And that's called a credit problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Kim.
    Recently, my director wanted me to devote 100% of my time towards one project and then he continued to say, '...with the rest of your time....' and I'm thinking, 'the rest of my time? dude, you just used it all.'
    What is the world coming to? Sounds like we might need to come up with a new unit of measure that can expand past the 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - I am literally laughing out loud at your Paris blog. Should that be aloud? Or maybe I should just say, hey, that made me laugh my freaking ass off -- not literally.

    ReplyDelete