Friday, August 10, 2007

Too Old to Wear Novelty?

When does a person get too old to wear novelty items? The previous owner of my home came to the closing wearing big, dangly cherry earrings on her ears - one side had one cherry on a stem, the other had two cherries connected at the stems. I thought that possibly she might have lost a cherry on one side of her ear but no, I think they were supposed to look like that. But they fit her. My Dad was amused by them. She's a little quirky in her own right (the woman goes to a pet psychic for cryin' out loud) so I didn't think much of the cherry earrings - they suited her and her personality.

I was walking into work today and I was following behind this woman toting a license plate purse. If you're unfamiliar, these purposes were quite the novelty item perhaps two to five years ago. These are purses fashioned out of old license plates. The metal is bent into all shapes and sizes and a leather strap is attached to carry around with you. The lady I followed in today had a cylinder purse. I kept looking at it and I just kept thinking, 'Aren't you a little old to be carrying that around?' The last place I saw selling these purses was Claire's...in the mall.....two to five years ago.... This woman had to be in the early to mid-40s. Maybe she took her daughter's cast off and decided to make it her own and try and bring it back? Something tells me, "Not the case." Perhaps she found it in her closet, stashed away (rightly so) and thought it would be fun to bring it out and use it because it was 'vintage.' Uhhh, no.

I'm not sure that there are many novelty items for people to wear out there nowadays - it seems like many people are branching out into other ideas and people, in general, are less likely to follow a trend (except for those darn crocs). This could be a good thing - shows people are thinking and still have imaginations.

5 comments:

  1. On several occasions, I have had to steer people away from purchasing that cutesy crap. It’s like, “Step away from the Parrothead earrings . . .” If you're over the age of 20, it's guaranteed to age you at least ten years. I wouldn’t be caught dead in most Christmas sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I feel like a little bit of a hypocrite, as I spent an extra five minutes in the shower this morning trying to scrub off my "I am a Human Weapon" temporary tattoo (bar freebie, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they really have license plate purses at Clair's? I see those at that expensive "Art Craft" place every time I go, and they aren't cheap! I also dare someone to wear the "seatbelt" belts I've seen at Yellow Rat Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Yellow Rat Bastard, in NYC.
    I have seen license plate purses at Claire's - I swear.
    BTW - Grandmas are supposed to wear the Christmas novelty sweaters - that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah - an older man, at work yesterday, was wearing a kilt - along with the socks and black shoes...I didn't know if it was a Scotch/Irish holiday.

    ReplyDelete