Monday, August 6, 2007

Nicknames

I love a good nickname. I had this gym coach in the fourth grade who gave nicknames to a few of the students. I can't remember any of the good ones, but I do remember that they weren't given to everyone and that if you got one, you should feel special. And I did feel special when, halfway through the year, he dubbed me "Funnel" (for my affinity for playing "Funnel Ball" at recess - this one was not particularly creative, but beggers can't be choosers).

In college, nicknames were big in my sorority. You had the standard last name-based nicknames. Some were simply the last name - others were variations, sometimes just shortened last names or words that rhymed with the name. Some stuck; others didn't. My personal favorite was this girl a year behind me. She seemed a little shy at first and didn't talk very much. One night, early on in the first semester living in the house, she went to Burger King with a few other girls. One of the other girls had mustard on the side of her mouth or something, so the others were kind of kidding her about it. Without missing a beat, the shy girl picked up an open packet of ketchup, smeared it on her own cheek, and said, "That's okay. I have ketchup on my face." She was henceforth known as "Ketch."

There are also the nicknames unbeknownst to the people on whom they are based (see “Henry Winkler” from my post on hip hop, for example). My friend Jen from Austin was also really good with these. For instance, I dated a guy named Chad who was good looking but rarely spoke. The guy barely cracked a smile during a viewing of American Pie. We called him "Silent Chad." Not really that original, but I still giggle a little to myself whenever I think about it. I dated another guy with a very early American sounding name, and we called him, "The Quaker." Jen dated a guy who was kind of a meathead. She started calling him “Face Painter” (think Puddy from Seinfeld – “Go Devils!!”).

She also started nicknaming another girlfriend's dates after food. There was a "biscuit" after a McDonald's breakfast drive thru incident and some other good ones too (which I can't, for the life of me, recall). Then she tried to name the next date "Turkey Leg." No reason. Just that it would be funny. In the interest of making this work, she tried to talk her girlfriend into taking the date to a Renaissance Festival or Medieval Times. Sadly, that did not transpire. But hey - I still love "Turkey Leg." Because I love a good nickname.

5 comments:

  1. Growing up in a predominantly Jewish town, I was called 'Liu-berg' or 'Liu-stein' in high school - it seemed appropriate at the time and I thank my friends for trying not to make me feel left out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. It reminds me of Jon Stewart saying that Spidermen was Jewish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My trend at work is that I give a nickname to those I don't much care for (others call them my nemesis)...anyways, we had this really USELESS development manager. She could not answer anything related to the code or issues for her team but someone expresses interest in a happy hour; she's totally on it. So I called her 'Julie' from the Love Boat.
    We had this other girl that started with us whose resume totally did not fit her experience and she needed a lot of hand holding - which is not what we want to do in this group - her name was Poonam but I called her 'the Poo' for short.
    Finally - we have this man that's trying to ingratiate himself into our group and he's clearly not wanted and of no use. We were thinking about renaming our application since we're revamping the tool. Currently we're known as StatusPro. His suggestion? StatusPro Live - SO stupid cause we wanted to get away from the whole StatusPro moniker, so now I call him 'Slive.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my group, my co-worker and I decided to give certain people initials. There was a guy in our group who was kind of the 'go to' guy, the guy who knew the answer to everything. We called him "bg" which stood for "big gun". There was another guy in the group who my co-worker was convinced was always trying to cause trouble, hence the initials "tm" for "trouble maker". Lastly, there's a really short girl in our group so we call her "sg" for "short girl". Not too creative with the "sg" initials, I could also call her "ku" for kiss up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a new lady on the block (at work) and I've bestowed her with the nickname 'Crazy.'

    ReplyDelete