Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Cutting Class

For the first time in the nine months that we have been attending dance class, Amanda and I cut our first class this past Monday. It had nothing to do with the fact that we are learning our recital routine and we couldn't take it - nope, far from it. I, personally, look forward to Monday night dance class - because it's a great workout and a lot of fun. But this past week, we both got to class early and started chatting. There's a class of young ladies before us that Miss Angelica teaches - and it's always fun to hear what they're dancing to (a few weeks ago, it was 'Beat It') - but this time around, a distinctive male voice cut into our conversation that made me pause and look at Amanda in a queer way.

It was him....she knew it, I knew it. It was the substitute!

I don't know if we've ever spoke about the substitute before but I REALLY don't enjoy his classes. I'm sure he doesn't get much notice that he's going to sub so that gives him less time to prepare - but when he does teach the class, it's a lot more JAZZ than hip hop. And he doesn't seem to have a great grasp of the English language - I'm guessing he's Russian. Other thoughts in the class lean towards Spaniard. But regardless, he does less explaining and more "grunting."
The substitute makes up these random routines - oftentimes they involve a half somersault at the end. He goes ridiculously fast and then doesn't even stop to explain the step-by-step process. His explanation usually comes out as "it's an uh - and then an uh - and uh uh uh." Seriously. I don't know about you but I don't respond well to grunting. (It's hard to understand.)

I will say one positive thing about the sub's class - he has a good ab workout routine he does to Missy Elliott's "Lose Control" that I still do at the gym when I'm there. See - a positive.

So after taking a peek inside the class (he saw me, and knows that I didn't show up to class) to confirm our worst fears, Amanda and I sat there to weigh our options - hit the gym? I don't have my sneakers. Go home? Then I'll feel like a pig since I was looking forward to the class. In the meantime, another one of our classmates took zero time to ponder and she's like, 'I'm outta here - I'm going to the gym. See you next week.'

Final decision: Let's go grab coffee - Amanda got a decaf, I got a tea. And we caught up on life and our past weekend's trip to PSU - it was fun. However, we had to pass on the Slurpees since we didn't earn them this week.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the ab workout is nice - but not worth the price of sitting through the whole uh uh uh class.

    ReplyDelete