Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pumpkin Season


It's pumpkin season!! Hooray! Even though the day highs are still averaging in the 70s here, the morning starts out crisp and cool. And I am getting excited that it's pumpkin season.

I've kicked off the fall season with a few pumpkin spice frappuccinos at Starbucks (side note: my brother's friend calls it "Four Bucks," which is very clever and I'm going to try to use from now on. Have I ever spent less than four bucks there? Yes. But it's rare). When it gets a little colder, I will switch to the hot latte variety.

When I was driving from the Detroit airport to my parents' house last weekend, I almost stopped at the Rochester Cider Mill for cider and doughnuts. What is it about cider mill doughnuts? 9 times out of 10, I have no interest in the plain cake doughnut. Not even in the munchkin form. But when it's washed down with some fresh cider . . . delicious.

It's too bad that winter has to follow autumn. But as much as I loved living in Austin, Texas, this was the one thing I missed - no fall. No turning of the leaves, no crisp fall weather. Going to a University of Texas game all dressed up was not the same as going to a Purdue football game in a scarf and mittens.

One Saturday last year, I went shopping with Jen for a few hours. My husband was in the mood to make pumpkin bread and decided to head to Cox farm to pick up some ingredients. I came home from my shopping adventure to find a display at my front door of hay bales, gourds, pumpkins, and Indian corn. And greeting me at the top of the stairs was a pumpkin carved in the shape of a cat face - all lit up.

Man, I love pumpkin season!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the pumpkins and the halloween decorations! I think now that we have a patio, I'm looking forward to decorating....and pumpkins- yaye, pumpkins.

    For some reason, carving for me is a mess...it ends well but that's after hours of mess in the middle.

    ReplyDelete