Friday, September 28, 2007

O.P.P.

No - this isn't a throwback to Naughty by Nature and their song, "O.P.P." so you can stop waving your hands in the air...waving them like you just don't care...

O.P.P. here is other people's perception....I've often wondered if the way I see something is the same way that someone else sees something. Something as simple as looking at myself in the mirror. I could see myself in one light but then someone else could see me in a whole other way. I remember WAY back in the day, Oprah had this guest on her show that refused to go out in public because she felt like she was hideous looking and didn't want people staring at her. She actually was an average looking woman - she wasn't ugly and she wasn't a drop dead beauty. But the way she perceived herself was so drastically different than what others were seeing that she felt that if she went out in public, she would get stared at and whispered about so she became a recluse.

When I was at the gym yesterday, I was looking in the mirror and I thought, "Huh....I look like I've lost a little weight." But then I was wondering if the mirrors they had installed in the Women's locker room were those mirrors that make you seem skinnier than you really are...kind of like trick mirrors. Although at a gym, you would think they would install those mirrors that make you look a little chubbier so you get out there and hit those cardio machines harder. But I digress. In looking at myself, I was wondering if other people see me the same way I see myself.

Growing up, I've always been bigger than the average Asian female. But I'm also more athletic than the average Asian female. I've got football player shoulders, child bearing hips and soccer player calves. But it's all proportionate (don't want people thinking I look like a total freak). People in my life, growing up, would make fun of me for being a bigger girl. In high school, I thought I was pretty average but I was never petite and in college and right after college, I gained some weight that made me kinda big. But now, I'm probably more fit than I have been in years - I played soccer and softball all summer, started taking hip hop dance class since February and I work out at the gym several times a week. Some days I feel like I'm in really great shape...other days, I feel like I've really let myself go and I feel really fat. And when I'm having those "low" days, I wonder how other people perceive me?

I guess it's the same for anything - how one person perceives and object, a situation, a person will always differ from how another person perceives the same things - but is it drastically different or are we all seeing the same things, for the most part?

5 comments:

  1. I for one always feel that my perception of myself is WAY different than everyone elses...so you are not alone!
    My mom once told me that she was scared I would become anorexic because I always see myself at the "Fat Girl" even if I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! I think it's psychological - growing up, I was always the bigger girl so even after losing weight and being in great shape, I still feel like the 'fat girl' and when I look at skinny people, I always feel like there's room for improvement.

    BTW - you're not fat, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go back and forth all of the time too. Sometimes I am pretty confident about my "total package;" other times, I feel like a total mess. I wonder if the third party observer can tell which mental state I'm in.

    I also go back and forth with feeling big and small. I have big feet and wrists and ankles. So I like to tell people I'm big boned. And I really do think it's true. But no one ever seems to believe me.

    On the other hand, I didn't inherit child bearing hips, so I am pleased with that. Instead, I got the soccer calves too and the bubble butt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a program years ago that expounded on the premise that your image of yourself is established in high school. No matter what happens in your life after that, you never get away from the way you saw yourself in high school. I really believe that. If you were a popular kid in high school, you will always have that self esteem and many times think you are greater than you are - even if you are living below the poverty level. However, if you were not the thinnest or the most popular or the most successful in high school, you will never be able to change your self-perception even if you become the thinnest, the prettiest and the most successful. Amanda knows that I subscribe to that theory - it is so true for me!

    ReplyDelete