Thursday, September 27, 2007

Look, Mom! No Cavities!

Do you remember those Crest (or Colgate) commercials back in the day where the kid is so excited about acing his "check up" at the dentist that he races home, passing other kids playing along the way, to show his mom the good news? I used to think those commercials were ridiculous. What kid is that excited about the dentist anyway?

In retrospect, however, I think those commercials were on to something. Now, it's not like I walk around the rest of the day on a cloud when I get a clean bill of health at the dentist. But I CERTAINLY am depressed when things aren't so rosy. When the dentist pokes with that scraper thing and the prong "catches," I immediately know I'm in trouble. And then it's time for the dentist and me to "have a little talk."

Whenever they discover that I have let my teeth rot (which is really what is going on here), I feel like such a deadbeat. I try to explain that I work really hard at brushing my teeth (I floss and everything you're supposed to do). But I feel like it falls on deaf ears. Even if it's true that my teeth have a lot of grooves and I may just be cavity prone, I feel like I've let my dentist (and Mom) down.

Here's hoping for a clean check-up in 6 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment