Monday, September 10, 2007

Celebrity Breakups

If you haven't figured this out about me already, I'm telling you now. I'm a sucker for celebrity gossip. I am well aware that it's trash. And deep down, I know it's ridiculous to care about these people I don't even know. I know I'm only feeding the paparazzi machine. But for me, it’s a disease without a cure.

While I’ll generally listen to any kind of celebrity gossip, there is a particular type of celebrity gossip that I find especially appealing. You guessed it: celebrity breakups. I keep a mental tally of when actors/singers/assorted entertainers get together, and I start counting down until they call it quits.

Now how’s this for admission . . . at least half of the time, these break-ups make me just a little bit happy. I know I’m not alone in this. I think there have been studies about the public reveling in celebrities’ misfortunes. But still. I like to think of myself as a reasonable person, and that just seems incredibly immature.

Maybe there’s just a part of me that likes to know that celebrities have problems too. And of course, a reminder of the old adage: money can’t buy happiness.

1 comment:

  1. You're so right! Since the first season of Newlyweds aired, I was counting down the days until they got the divorce because Nick not only married Jessica, but he married Papa Joe too. And the fact that she was so dependent on her family after being married? A little ridiculous. There's such a thing as being a tight-knit group but there's also that term "cut the cord..."

    ReplyDelete