Friday, August 31, 2007

My Own Personal Soundtrack

I love music. I really do. From 'Ole Blue Eyes to the Beastie Boys, from Beethoven to Kanye West - I can't get enough.

Quite often, I will enjoy a trainwreck movie just because of the score. Case in point: "Two Weeks Notice." You know Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock just phoned that one in - they had zero chemistry (even less than Freddie Prinze Jr. and Julia Stiles/Monica Potter/Rachel Leigh Cook - take your pick). But guess who owns the soundtrack??

I once spent months hunting down a classical song that appeared during the end credits of Party of Five. I sat for hours one day at the Rochester Public Library listening to CD after CD of Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mozart, Chopin - whatever I could get my hands on. I had to have that song.

I am also one of those people who will keep browsing in an otherwise worthless store if the music is right. I will buy that CD on the "Now Playing" display at Barnes & Noble. I have spent extra time lollygagging around the grocery store to get to the end of an Alan Parsons Project song.

When the Wallflowers did a remake of the Bee Gees "I Started a Joke," I discovered it at Bath & Body Works. I think the sales associate thought I was a little nuts when I asked about it instead of their "buy three get one free" sale on their anti-bacterial collection. But I didn't care. She was just a bit part in the movie of my life with my own personal soundtrack.

1 comment:

  1. I love music too - and will stop at nothing to find a song (most recently, Razorlight). It seems that after major trips, I usually have a soundtrack that best summarizes that trip....I made one for Becky of our Europe trip.

    ReplyDelete