Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Get It Together, Girl!

So last Sunday was the beginning of the 11th Annual CAN Softball tournament. Tournament time for softball is always fun, especially the big tournament weekend (this coming weekend) because there's a beer truck with taps hanging out the sides, good food and just a whole mess of people drinking and carousing. This year, we'll be in the middle of nowhere, just like last year, which was great. Except for this year, I'm hoping we don't have to sit next to the team that kept playing Journey's Greatest Hits, on repeat (nothing against Journey - just after the third replay, it started getting too much).

After playing our game on Sunday, and ALMOST pulling out a win against the higher seed (Michigan), someone from our team had the duty of keeping score book for the next game. I wanted to do it because I like doing the score book. The only thing is that it's not as fun as keeping a baseball score book cause I can't score errors. Anyways - I got to score for UVA vs. Baylor. I was already worried about keeping score because I have self-diagnosed A.D.D. I like to see what's going on around me....see who is out and about, etc. But I swore to myself that I would concentrate.

It started getting on my nerves the way one school kept coming over to me to check on the score, making sure I was counting the correct outs for the other school...'I got it, Bobo. Relax!' (Bobo was the head "noisy" guy.)

The other thing that annoyed me about this school was their catcher. I can't remember her name but she had just about the most annoying voice you ever heard. It was like a high, shrilly, breaking glass kind of noise. We'll call her 'Banshee.' For one play in the game, Banshee was on first and the batter behind her hit a high flyer into the outfield. She proceeded to second and the batter proceeded to first. When the ball got away from the outfielder and you knew they could keep running, she stopped at second - the runner at first started proceeding to second. All her teammates on the bench kept yelling at her to run. She didn't move. Well - the other school got them both out and that was the end of the inning...you just can't have two players on one base. On the way back to her bench, Banshee YELLED at her teammates, 'People on the bench...do not yell at me. I was looking at my base coach to tell me what to do. You guys need to shut up. This wasn't my fault.' And it was all in an angry, still shrilly tone. I thought I heard dogs barking in the background (it was actually gun shots from the nearby shooting range). I looked at my friend, who was sitting with me and we gave eachother this look like 'Uhhh - a little too much drah-mah?!' Wow - who knew softball could be so emotional.

Then in another play, Banshee missed a pop up behind home plate and let it drop when it could've been an out had she caught it. That was embarrassing for her. Not the fact that she had a mental breakdown in the middle of the softball field just a couple of minutes before - the fact that she didn't catch the pop up was embarrassing. Umm...okay.

DISCLAIMER: Banshee is a made up nickname ... Bobo is not...this is what was on the guy's jersey. And I didn't name the schools specifically in the situations above in order to keep it mysterious. But if anyone reading knows about CAN and the people in it, then they'll already have a good idea of whom I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment