Wednesday, August 1, 2007

First Timer

I became a first time home-buyer/home-owner yesterday...it was so exciting. Of course the weeks leading up to the closing were pretty hectic but the closing couldn't have gone more smoothly - it was all done in under an hour.
The Title Company, where the closing was held, even had beverages, chips, candy and fresh baked cookies. Who can concentrate on eating when you're signing all those papers and forking over a huge check? But it was great.
Now the real work begins. We're having a pretty hot and dry summer in NoVa and we don't officially move into our place until mid-August so we have to keep watering and mowing the lawns, watering the plants (this is where they'll begin to die at my hands), and making sure that everything that needs to be done gets done until we officially occupy the place full time. I've already brought in the trash cans for the first time. It's a good thing the house is only three miles away from where we live now.
I have the cleaning people going in on Monday to clean the air ducts and steam clean the carpets - the previous owners (I can call them that now since we're now the owners) had seven cats...yikes! So if I want my husband to survive the first year in the house, it's just something that has to get done.
I just finished going through my wallet and my list of places where I need to get address changes....pretty standard - even got my new license. And while doing this, I figured out that I have a lot of accounts out there - Neiman Marcus, Barneys NY, Banana Republic, Nordy's, etc. craziness. Too bad I'm getting put on a budget now so I probably won't be visiting those places very much....sigh.

1 comment: