Thursday, August 2, 2007

Color Me Scottish

Had I been able to take a longer vacation to Europe, I would've liked to venture up to UK's northern neighbor, Scotland - Land of the Highlanders and tartan plaids in every manly color you can think of. After all, they would have to be manly for the kilts that they wear.
I was trying to figure out where I would like to venture to next. Other places I was thinking of: Iceland, Costa Rica, Germany, and Austria. Scotland just came into the picture less than two days ago so I decided to go to Wikipedia (love that site) to get some background information.
Wikipedia provides me with all the high-level information I need to know, as well as some history. It even includes the flag. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw that the flag is a royal blue with two white diagonal lines....so it's like a big white 'X' on a blue background. Kind of like the confederate flag, without the stars. I honestly had no idea what the Scottish flag looked like prior to yesterday but I thought it might have been either a traditional tartan plaid (but I guess that would cause fights among clansmen over whose clan colors were being used) or something darker, like black, forest green and red.
I guess it's true that you do learn something everyday - cause then on my drive home, I saw not one, but TWO cars with a Scottish flag sticker on the back windshield (yet another kind of sticker on the back of a car) within the span of two minutes. One car had a burly looking man - totally passed for a Scot. The other, I didn't get a good look, but who knew that Vienna was populated with all these Scots? You better believe I'll be on the lookout now for those Scottish flags.
Of course, my fantasy boyfriend #1 is a Scot (Gerard Butler - sigh) - maybe that could have something to do with my inkling to explore the land of the Highlanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment