Friday, July 20, 2007

Am I at Work?!

I go through rotations of stores that I really like, in the mall. Last year, I was having great luck at the Gap and the Limited. This year, it’s more Banana Republic. Their stuff has been great recently. I’m always finding something in there that I really like and during their sales, the prices can’t be beat. Not only is the quality good, it’s affordable.

Every so often, I go to Banana Republic online to check out what they have coming out and what’s on sale. I also get the email alerts from them every week. This past week, I got an email about their ‘new suit.’ I guess their idea of the new suit involves a flowing ¾ sleeve blazer (almost cape-like) matched with a skirt or shorts. SHORTS?!

I guess recent fashion dictates that clean-lined shorts paired with heels/wedges and a nice top make for acceptable work attire. Yeah…maybe if I was 5’10 and 115 lbs. Even if I was, though, I would never wear shorts to work. There’s just something inappropriate about it.

Where I work, the summertime brings all sorts of people and their crazy warm-weather wardrobes. We have men coming in with flip-flops, women in spaghetti strap tank tops, both genders in shorts, baseball caps, shower sandals…and on and on and on…Sometimes I forget where I am when I look at these people. The only day I go lax with the wardrobe is on Fridays…and it’s usually denim paired with a nice top…not a tee shirt that reads, ‘How many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop’ (Oh yes, I’ve seen it at work.). I guess I should preface this buy saying that I work for the corporate offices of a telecom company….so I’m not exactly at Busch Gardens here.

You’ve already heard my gripe about people staring me down because I like to dress nicely to work. And if I ever came in with a suit, I would probably get a lot of, ‘Where are you interviewing?’

I know that there are still many people that wear suits to work, but ever since I started working in corporate America, the dress code has toned down a lot. But I can’t condone coming into work like you’re going to the beach…the two aren’t interchangeable in my mind.

Of course I think your job dictates what you should and should not wear to work. But I would have hoped that my fellow workers would have a little more common sense than to wear Delia tee-shirts and flip flops under khakis to work….they’re just lucky that I don’t break out my ‘Poison’ or ‘New Jersey: Only the Strong Survive’ tee shirts on Fridays….oh, but I’ve thought about it….

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately, I don't have to see shorts at my office. Unless it is working on a weekend, in which case, I'm sporting them too. There are quite a few people here whose clothes are a little "tired," however.

    ReplyDelete