Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The In-Betweener

I wonder why clothing companies can't seem to make perfect-fitting pants for people like me - an in-betweener. I am of average height (5'5 - although considered tall for my peoples), average weight (good luck getting the actual number out of me) and my build could probably be described as athletic. I'm not overly muscular but I do have some meat to me (which I'm working on toning this summer).

A good majority of my pants range in size from 8-10. I've been an 8/10 for as long as I can remember now....but it seems like more often than not, every time I go to purchase pants for work, I need to have the legs hemmed. I don't consider myself overly short but even when wearing heels, the pants seem to be long.

After a series of alterations I had to get done for pants I purchased, my dry cleaner/tailor finally asked me why I don't buy things that fit. Okay - like this is my fault. I'm just like 'I don't know - they don't make things that fit me correctly, obviously.' I'm too tall and regular-limbed to be considered petite and I'm not anywhere near a plus size. So why is it that so many of my items are getting hemmed?

I never seemed to have this problem before - I know long is in but sometimes I find myself tripping over my pant legs - and that's not safe...especially in heels. If I'm considered average, then why don't regular clothes fit me? Not all of us can have legs that go on for days, like a supermodel.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem and I'm 2 inches shorter than you so imagine how long "regular" pants are on me. I have to buy "short" but a lot of stores don't seem to carry a large selection of "short". Luckily, it's summer and I can wear capris to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have it the worst...I barely break 5'. I don't even bother buying short inseam pants cut for regular women. Would you believe that some petite pants are still too long for me?! That's why I don't really buy pants. I'll buy jeans and either cuff them or just cut off the bottoms (if I got them on sale). So sad! =(

    ReplyDelete