Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Girl That Wouldn't Stop Talking

An imperfect poem about a girl sitting behind me at the Cubs/Nats game on the 4th of July.

There once was a girl in DC,
That went to watch the Nats play the Cubbies.
She knew nothing at all
Like a strike versus a ball
It would've been better if she just watched on TV.

She kept talking to her friend, three seats away.
Was waiting for her to take a breather after each play.
But she just kept right on chatting.
While the players were batting.
Much to my dismay.

The mouth did not stop during "the stretch."
I felt like I was going to wretch.
They played a patriotic tune.
She sang along like a loon.
My bat, I was ready to fetch.

Now I was really on the brink.
I had to stop and surely think.
If I smacked the girl,
Would a fight unfurl,
Or should I just go back to the car and drink.

I decided to go back to the car.
Glad to be very far.
From that girl way back there,
Who seemed so unaware.
And proceeded to grab a drink from the tailgate bar.

2 comments:

  1. okay - this is hilarious! i totally forgot about you telling me about that girl until right now. hope you guys had fun yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have been a Cubs fan...all the women at Wrigley are clueless and barely watch the game. Was she also wearing a pink Cubs shirt or hat??? I could even imagine her wearing a scrunchie or fanny pack :P

    ReplyDelete