Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Maternity Clothes...Really?!

So back on my pregnancy train, because I'm having twins, I have been busting out a little earlier than usual. I'm told this is perfectly normal when having twins. I had to buy new bras at nine weeks because I already went up a whole cup size (thanks Nordstrom Lady!) and she gave me some great advice....your boobs are going to keep getting bigger as the pregnancy moves on so don't spend lots of money on bras. Thankfully, Nordstrom was having their half-yearly sale so I was able to get four new bras for under $20 each, including a Natori! And then I rounded out the four to make it a week's supply of bigger bras with Gap Body bras for $10-$15 each (thank you sales!).

But bras are not my problem. I have had to face the fact that my body no longer fits into my size 8s. This has taken a lot to overcome...but thankfully I have some size 10s in the closet for those 'feeling big' days. Those are now becoming a bit snug and I was able to go to JCrew and purchase two size 12 slacks for $15 each (I heart sales!). I was given good advice here as well - you'll need those bigger sizes on your way down, post pregnancy, so you might as well purchase some bigger size clothing that aren't maternity. Good advice.

Over the holiday weekend, I broke down and went with my sister to Gap Maternity and Old Navy Maternity....I managed to purchase two sweaters from Gap Maternity - were they necessarily maternity sweaters? Not really - they didn't look any different than regular sweaters except that they covered up my butt and were longer, presumably to hide belly and maternity bands. But in looking at the other stuff that they had, I just could not get excited about maternity clothes. Quite frankly, if you're not buying 'top of the line' maternity clothes (aka - Nordstrom Maternity, Pea in the Pod), I think they can be quite ugly.

Then what am I going to do when I start approaching 'double wide' status during my pregnancy? I'm going to try and get deals on the good maternity clothes and hopefully sell them after i'm done with them so I can get some return on my investment.

I just find maternity clothes very repetitive - you see one maternity sweater with the rope band tied in a bow at the empire waist, you've seen them all. I'm always open to suggestions of where I can find good maternity clothes. I just feel like I've gone from fashion forward to fashion flunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment