Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Is All Laughter Good?

I love to laugh - I laugh at a lot of things and sometimes I laugh during inappropriate moments, like commercials that are supposed to play on your sympathy but is poorly written so all I can do is laugh at them. I have a range of laughs, from giggles to a hearty laugh when something is really funny - I think my laugh is quite normal in it's range - but there are others, that I've observed, that have some really weird laughs.

There are two ladies in my office who have very distinctive laughs. The first lady (we'll call her Orchid) lets out this LOUD cackle at least once a day. Everything on the floor will be quiet, everyone's busy doing their thing and then you hear 'AHHHHHHHH YACK YACK YACK YACK.' That's my best impersonation of her cackle in typed word. It's quite scary because you never know when it's going to come and no one is ever prepared for it. I remember the first few times we heard it, our row would break out into giggles because it's so ridiculously loud.

The second lady is kind of a biatch in her own right but her laugh resembles creepy little giggles.....I was trying to think of a cartoon character that laughs the same way she does - but it's almost like a chest-congested repeat of 'uh huh huh huh huh huh' in short, little staccatos for every syllable. It's almost like a Beavis/Butthead laugh (the brunette one) in the same tone and just a little more drawn out. But when I hear it, and I hear it quite often, I feel like she's plotting something - something evil.

Reader's Digest says that laughter is the best medicine - in some cases it is - but in others, I'm not quite so sure. Because sinister laughter surely isn't good for you....and when you have a person that has the same laugh for everything - outrageously loud no matter what the context of the situation (BAAAAAH HA HA HA) - then I become a little suspicious.

But what I love even more than laughing is making other people laugh. It makes me feel good when I can draw laughter out of people. Even if I don't mean to be funny, I'm glad I'm able to put a smile on another person's face, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment