Friday, February 8, 2008

Never Underestimate...

I'm at an age where I have a routine for my go-to stores for certain situations. Work clothes? Banana Republic, J.Crew, Gap, Loehmanns. Shoes? Nordstrom, Macy's, TJMaxx. And I have a whole slew of other stores for "other" occasions that I like to hop into and check out the latest merchandise.
Stores that you will rarely find me at: Talbots, Ann Taylor Loft, Aeropostale, Brooks Brothers.
My work environment tends to be business casual. I am probably one of the more nicely dressed people in the work place (when you're competing with jeans and flip flops, it's not hard). So I don't feel the need to overspend at Talbots and Brooks Brothers. Plus I feel their target audience is older than me. I rarely find anything at Ann Taylor Loft - even though it's targeted towards people my age, I find that it doesn't really suit my taste. As for Aeropostale, I just threw it in there - I've outgrown them....plus I know how their insides work (my first job out of college was in corporate Aero).
One of my friends had a list of wedding items she needed to purchase for her winter wedding - one of them being a cover up or faux fur shell for her dress because her wedding was in November (London) and her dress was gorgeous and sleeveless silk. We had looked everywhere for a wrap - Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Nordstroms, Jessica McClintock. We even went to Macy's Kids because Amie is TINY - we almost settled for a marked down faux fur white winter coat from Macy's Kids...but while walking through the mall, I took a chance on a store called 'Forever 21.'
I always thought this store was more for teens and college kids so I never had a reason to go in. So imagine my surprise, when on my maiden voyage into Forever 21 I found the PERFECT faux fur coat for Amie, that wasn't for kids between the ages of 6-9, and for a GREAT price! I ripped the coat off the mannequin, threw it on Amie and we both started jumping up and down like two giddy schoolgirls that just met their #1 crush (Hello, Gerard Butler...). This was by far the purchase of the year - this is what great shopping is about....finding that one item that seems to be so elusive.
Since that awesome moment in Forever 21, I haven't stepped foot in the store. That is until last weekend. My husband and I had dinner at one of the restaurants in the mall and afterwards, he gave me the ok to stroll around and Forever 21 was my target. I wanted to give it a chance....and I'm glad I did. I managed to find two spring blouses perfect for work. My time in there was limited and their return policy is a little shady (exchanges only) - but I was happy with my purchases. This is a great place to get the latest fashions for a very reasonable price. As for quality? That remains to be seen - and I'm not holding out much hope. Their corporate motto has something to do with the latest fashion (yes) at a great price (yes) - and all true - because who knows if these styles will be in next year - if yes, then great; if no, then it's okay - I only spent $20 on that shirt.
I'm hoping to get some more quality time in the Forever 21 store this weekend. By the looks of it, I was definitely the oldest one in the store (including the employees, excluding the foreigners) - but I don't care - I still get carded....75% of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment