Monday, February 4, 2008

The "In" Crowd

If you were lucky enough to catch the 2000 movie, 'The In Crowd,' starring no one worth remembering, then you know that it's tough to keep up with what's hot, what's not, and standing in someone's way of being hot could lead to your demise. Well, that's what happened in the movie - but in Hollywood, it seems like you gotta be doing something that the "In" crowd is doing in order to keep everyone's lips flapping.

The three most popular things that seem to keep people in the 'In' crowd these days - getting engaged/married, getting pregnant, and going to rehab.

Katharine McPhee, of American Idol fame, was rececntly dropped from her record label (along with a bunch of other Idol alums), but she still managed to have a posh, Beverly Hills wedding to a man that is 19-years older. Congratulations to her. Honestly, I couldn't name any of her songs - I am not an 'Idol' watcher. I know who she is via press but always wonder why she can't keep her mouth shut in pictures.

Jennifer Love Hewitt has seen her ups and downs - she was hugely popular in 'Party of Five' - although in hindsight and looking at her pictures, I wonder why. A few years later, she has a pretty successful show on CBS with the 'Ghost Whisperer.' I've never seen it - but good for her. And as she faded into TV star oblivion, someone had to go and call her fat because of some bikini pics showing some cellulite (we all have it, ladies...not something that really goes away) and to offset the negative press on her cellulite, she got engaged.

I don't know if it's because I'm at an age where a lot of my friends are having babies - but it seems like everyone in Hollywood is procreating...Halle Berry, Gwen Stefani, Jamie Lynn Spears....and Jessica Alba.

Many people that I know don't exactly think Jessica is the most talented actress out there. She is extremely good looking and she has a great body - but acting wise - the jury is still out on that. Even guys I know that think she's hot don't exactly remember her for her acting chops. She's had a slew of recent bombs hit the theatres - but that's okay because...surprise - she's pregnant. That's great for her. I just wonder if all these young, baby-out-of-wedlock happenings is a good image to set for our young people. It's almost sending the message of, 'Sure, it's okay to have sex and get pregnant if you're not married....' which it totally is okay - IF you have the financial resources to raise that baby. Am I right? I think that last message doesn't come across as clearly.

And finally - the rehab crowd just got one more this weekend - Eva Mendes. Also very popular and very pretty - who the heck knew she had a substance abuse problem? She has admitted herself into the same treatment facility as Lindsay Lohan....good for her - getting some help...although, she wouldn't have needed help if she just laid off the stuff in the first place.

Yes - we all have our problems and I have to imagine that these people's managers and PR reps are having a field day with the questions and accusations.

These are just my observations....and I'm not part of the 'In' crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment