Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Dan Cortese!

Being an avid fan of the new American Gladiators (the finale did not disappoint), it was only natural I saw the commercials on NBC for their new game show, 'My Dad is Better Than Your Dad.' It was being pushed by the Gladiators themselves. From what I could gather, it was a game show where one kid and their Dad go up against another kid and their Dad in challenges to prove that one Dad is better than the other Dad. I think the people that came up with this show also tried to work the 'father/daughter-son' bonding aspect. Anyways, I wasn't planning on watching the show at all - not really interested.

But due to lack of any new programming, while I was surfing, I caught 'My Dad is Better Than Your Dad' in the midst of a challenge. I have to admit, it intrigued me, but what caught my attention wasn't the little kids screaming and yelling out tactical advice to their parent....no. What intrigued me was the host of the show...Dan Cortese.

You might know him from MTV Sports - at least that's where I remember him from the most. He was the host of MTV Sports back in the early 90s. He was a good looking man - with his long hair, buff bod and sometimes he'd throw a bandana on the head to mix it up. Now, he's a clean cut, still buff host of 'My Dad is Better Than Your Dad.' Sure, I saw him in between on some TV shows....Seinfeld (the 'Mimbo'), Melrose, etc. But it will always be MTV Sports that will come to my head at the mention/sight of Dan Cortese.

Of course, on MTV Sports, his name was pronounced Dan Cortez (still spelled Cortese) - but it seems, somewhere after MTV Sports and before 'My Dad is Better Than Your Dad,' it became Dan Cor-tazy (still spelled Cortese). What happened? Was it Cortez to line up with Daisy Fuentes to give them both that Latin feel? In another couple of years, will it be Dan Cor-tease? Is he going to be like Puff Daddy, Puffy, P.Diddy, Diddy, Sean Combs?

I don't know - but what I do know is that he will always be Dan Cortese (cortez) from MTV Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment