Monday, February 18, 2008

Chopsticks are for Food, Not Hair

I seriously don't know who came up with the bright idea to shove chopsticks into one's hair to keep it up. I suppose it's less intrusive than a ponytail or bobby pins but to purposely decorate your hair with chopsticks just goes beyond my comprehension.

Who are these hair chopsticks for, exactly? How does one get their hair to stay with one or two chopsticks? After some time waiting on the metro platform in Chinatown, Saturday night, a woman...a Caucasian woman, walked by and she had two ornamental chopsticks shoved into the bun on the back of her head. What made them ornamental? There were metal butterflies hanging off the ends of her chopstick. The chopsticks, in this case, were for pure show. Obviously, this woman could not get the two sticks to keep her hair in a bun without reinforcements. You could see that she had already arranged her hair into a bun with a ponytail and bobby pins....and to make it even more pretty, she stuck the butterfly chopsticks in her hair in a criss-cross.

I immediately started saying to Amanda that I didn't understand how women with thick hair could get it into a bun and have it stay with just a single stick. The most memorable case, in my mind, of one (stick) and done is Zhang Zi-yi in 'Rush Hour 2' when she's about to fight Chris Tucker at the end and she prepares herself by wrapping up her hair, WITH the chopstick, and stabbing it down to make it stay - and supposedly she went through a whole fight scene without it moving. Amazing. Of course, I realize that those are the movies and I'm thinking real life. For all I knew, they could've 'cut scene,' brought her to the hair trailer, and threw 50 bobby pins in her hair...and action. Amanda said that she was able to do this to her hair and she knew someone that did it with their pen. Fascinating.

I truly believe, though, that if you go to China, you won't find many natives running around with chopsticks in their hair...so I wonder who came up with the brilliant idea of using it as hair ornament. Hmmmm......

Mainly, I think I'm just bitter that I can't use chopsticks for my hair - and since they are of Asian roots, you would think that I, at least, would be able to use them as hair ornaments....not so.

No comments:

Post a Comment