Thursday, February 28, 2008

Diminished Running Capacity

I recently strained some ligaments in my knee that really put me 'out of commission' at the gym for a good two weeks. I did go to see a doctor to have it checked out after a week of pain (from walking up and down stairs) and he told me to take it easy - didn't look to be anything serious. So I did....that was my signal that I could take a little respite from the gym. But I actually still went to the gym but did things that weren't too stressful on my knee, like running. I just walked on the treadmill at a slower pace and did the elliptical in order to work up a sweat. And I still ended up playing volleyball because I really enjoy volleyball. And I still went to dance class cause I loves me some hip-hop.

I can finally say that my knee is feeling a lot better - I made sure to take it easy and I think it paid off. I had an "almost normal" workout yesterday with some running on the treadmill and another 20 minutes on the elliptical. Everything was done at a slower pace, since I'm still in recovery mode, but it was nice to be able to finally build up to where I was at before the injury.

When I told my husband that I was able to run for a longer distance than I had been for the last two weeks, he asked how fast I was going. I said I was only going at a very slow jog (4.8) but that I was building back up to my daily run speed of 5.5. Then of course he had to boast about how he usually runs in the 7.0-9.0 range and I'm just like, 'Yeah, well you have longer legs, a longer stride and you look like you're having a seizure when you're running that fast.' And then I had to tell him that I was faster once...back in the college days - and it kind of just started going downhill after graduation.

I remember being back in college and I think my top speed was like 6.8. I wouldn't run for a full 20 minutes at 6.8 but I would build it up from 6.0 to 6.8 for a good workout. Then for the first few years after graduation, I topped out at 6.0. There might've been special occasions where I went up to 6.2 but it was usually a steady 6.0. In the last couple of years, it has slowly gone down...slightly. I find myself running/jogging at a comfortable 5.5. That's the tops that I'll go these days and I am okay with that.

I was watching 'The Biggest Loser' this past week, and during a 'Last Chance Workout,' the trainer made one of the girls run at 17.0 for ten seconds straight. SEVENTEEN POINT OH. Wow - Never, in my wildest dreams would I imagine even going that fast. I didn't even think the treadmill could go that fast. I mean, I envy those guys that come off the treadmill and I see their average speed is like 8.0 or 7.5 - but 17.0 - even for ten seconds...sounds brutal.

I wonder why I keep getting slower and slower - maturity of the bones? A decrease in caring how fast or hard I run? Not sure - but I'll see how long I can stick with 5.5. Hopefully by the time I'm 40, I won't be 'jogging' at like a 4.0 - which is a nice walking pace for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment