Wednesday, August 19, 2009

There's a Reason They're the Best

Since registering for baby items and about a month into their lives, I have been in the market for baby slings/carrier - the most popular one out there, being the Baby Bjorn. I registered for one thinking that that could be my husband's baby carrier. Of course I wanted a 'cooler' carrier, so I had registered for the 'Peanut Shell' sling and an Infantino sling.

While one of my boys was calm, I threw him in thePeanut Shell sling to see if he would like it. First of all, just from my perspective, he didn't look comfortable AT ALL. Secondly, he started crying which let me know he wasn't comfortable AT ALL. He looked 'squished.' This is when I gave up on the Peanut Shell and went with the Infantino - because it looked 'sturdier' and more comfortable. Again, after waiting for a calm moment, I threw one of the boys in the Infantino only to be met with more crying and more 'squishy.' This is when I gave up on the sling altogether and decided that maybe I need to just go with the upright carrier....but still wanted something cooler looking than the Baby Bjorn.

I have friends that have the cloth carriers that is basically like a six foot piece of fabric that you tie in all kinds of directions on your body in order to secure your baby to your frontside. There was no way I was ever going to be able to handle that....so I saw another Infantino upright carrier that looked comparable to the the Baby Bjorn at about half the cost. I purchased it and during a recent trip to Costco, I put my 'lighter' son into the carrier to see how he would like it. I ended up spending half the Costco trip adjusting my straps to get him tighter and closer to my body, having my husband pull down on the center 'circle' thing on the back to make sure it was in the center of my back. I have to say that it wasn't terribly comfortable for me and if my son could talk, he would probably give it one thumbs down, while the other stayed in his mouth.

On another excursion, I had taken out the Baby Bjorn for my husband so he could get use to it and start using it. After about ten minutes, he decided it was too hard to figure out and kind of put it to the side. In planning for a doctor's appointment tomorrow, I decided I was going to try on the Baby Bjorn and see if my son liked it any better than the Infantino.

Firstly, the Bjorn was SOOOOO much easier to 'assemble' than the Infantino - there are a lot of snaps and cloth pulls on the Infantino and it was pretty confusing where I was supposed to stick my head and arms...but with the Baby Bjorn, everything is pretty mapped out for you in shapes and colors. It was a lot more comfortable and the best part, my son didn't cry or fuss while in the Bjorn.

I guess there's a reason why they seem to be monopolizing the marketplace in Infant carriers - of the four slings and carriers I've tried, they are the best, simply put. And I like their range of products - from 'fancy' infant carriers (think sparkly and patent leather for nights on the town) to sporty ones with breathable mesh fabric.

I keep the Infantino carrier in the car for emergencies but I think I'm going to have to break down and purchase a Baby Bjorn for myself - maybe the sporty one...you can call me 'Sporty Bjorn.'

No comments:

Post a Comment