Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Since When Did I Become Older Than a Friend?!

I'm pretty fortunate to have been blessed with 'young-looking' Asian skin. There are many instances where I still get carded and have been asked if I'm still in college. Sure, when you're in your thirties, those times don't happen too often and sometimes you're a little happy when they do. But there are other times when you're just like, 'C'mon - are you kidding me?'


Well - I discovered a sure fire way of really feeling old - watch a rerun of 'Friends.' That's what I did last night and it happened to be the episode where Rachel was turning 30.
I thought to myself, 'Really? 30? That's it?'
And then I wondered, 'Did I know they were supposed to be in their late 20s, early 30s when filming the show?'
I had to do some research on Wikipedia and it turns out the show aired from 1994 - 2004. I was only 18 when it started, so no wonder they seemed so much older...and all of the cast did start the show in their late 20s to early 30s.

But now, 14 years after it first aired, I'm finding that I feel a bit old. I mean I talk about 'Different Strokes' and 'Facts of Life' because those were classics (loved the episode with El Debarge on 'FoL') - great shows from my formative years. And it's looking like 'Friends' is turning into quite the classic as well.

I think it's because 'Friends' is still pretty 'new' and it's only been off the air for four years - but the jokes and the situations are still pretty timeless. I still try to catch a reruns and I still laugh out loud at their antics.
*Sigh* I started watching the show as a young'n compared to the characters - now, I'm on the other side of the age hump, viewing it from a whole new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment