Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Real Catalogs for Real People

I like getting catalogs in the mail - I like to sift through them and see what's out there that I'm not normally exposed to on the world wide web....I've even wondered how I've become the recipient of some of these catalogs since I've either 1) never heard of them or 2) haven't ordered anything from them. I'm guessing it comes with the whole home-ownership thing.

As I was looking through some catalogs the past few nights, it has occurred to me that everyone modeling the clothes is uber-skinny. Is that something that surprises me? Of course not because isn't that what models are known for? And it's not like you would want to see a really heavy woman modeling clothes in a JCrew catalog. Aside from the Victoria's Secret catalog (because we all know you have to be practically perfect to be in that catalog), I'm wondering if there's a catalog out there that has "real" women wearing their clothing in "real" situations? I want to know how clothes are going to fit on a woman of a similar build to myself. Why? Mainly because you're asking me to order it via this catalog or online - without being able to try it on first...if it doesn't fit or look right, I have to go through the hassles of shipping it back. But most importantly, clothes fit differently on different body types.

Here's an example - I was shopping at a store a couple of months ago and came across this really cute peasant top. It was white with navy embroidery around the collar and deep V-neckline...it was really cute. When I got it into the dressing room and over my body - it wasn't quite so cute anymore. My conclusion? These types of shirts don't work for women with boobs - like size C and up - it didn't lay nicely in the chestical area as it probably was meant to do. Instead, for someone like me with boobs, it sat wrong and just made the whole top unflattering. It was a sad moment.

So I'm wondering if there are catalogs out there that will put everyday women in their clothing and throw it on display - cause before I order, I would like to get an idea of how it's REALLY going to look on me. I'm talking different sizes of women (petite, skinny, athletic, average) in clothing that you're trying to sell to them.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment