Friday, August 29, 2008

And the Results Are....

So I'm going back to the cupcake store thing....because I just so happen to be having dinner with girlfriends at a place near the cupcake shop that I wrote about on Monday and Amanda was kind enough to stop by the store for a 6-pack of cupcakes. When she arrived at the restaurant, she set down the box and proceeded to tell the story of how at a little before 6pm, the shop was down to three out of 15 flavors from the day. The shop closed at 7pm.

The flavors were - coconut (ick), rootbeer float (ugh) and banana cream (barf). Those were my (reactions) upon hearing what she got. But you know what - after dinner, I decided to give it a try anyways. The lesser of all evils to me was banana cream. One person taste tested the rootbeer float (which came with a cute straw sticking out of the cupcake) and the other two took the coconuts (thank goodness). And the results are...they were good. The icing was creamy and the cake was moist. Overall, we agreed that the cupcakes were tasty.

But just because they were tasty doesn't mean that they should've skimped on their business plan and not forecasted their demand properly. I mean, they weren't joking about not forecasting their demand. With an hour left until closing, and having a scarce amount of inventory left? That could lead to some unhappy customers.

After writing my entry on Monday, I found a little news alert that announced about FIVE cupcake shops opening in the DC area...I wonder if they are running into the same supply/demand issue and the lack of knowing what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment