Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Real-Life Traveler

This is what I want to be - a "real" traveler. When I travel now, on vacation, I usually map out all the things I would like to see or do. Whether it be to a place I've been before or somewhere new, I always do my research to see what I could possibly do to make my whole trip worthwhile. It is the planner in me. When I decide that I want to go somewhere, the first thing I do is look at flight times, how I will get to hotels (if I don't have a rental car), and all the things that are in the neighborhood of the hotel. Then I look at the big picture and list all the things that I would like to see/do while I'm on vacation. My days are practically planned out before I even leave. For some reason, I am just not a 'fly by the seat of my pants' type of person. I need to know that I will have a nice place to sleep, access to transportation, internet and other amenities when I get there. Maybe that makes me a high maintenance traveler but I guess I just like to be 'prepared.'

However, as I talk to other people about their travels, it always fascinates me that they're doing things that I would never think of doing - they almost travel off the beaten path...and that doesn't sound so bad. I'm wondering if I can just get away with booking my flight and hotel to a destination and nothing else....deciding upon what to do only when I get there? I'm not sure if I can....I don't know if it's in me.

Part of me does want an adventure, though. I want to be able to travel somewhere and have amazing finds and bring it back home and say, 'I purchased this while I was in *such-and-such* and it was so great. I found so many great things while I was there.' But my problem is I don't know where to find the good stuff - I don't want to keep buying ready-made souveys and chachkas to bring home -I want to bring home something significant so it can be a constant reminder of my time in that place.

How does one go about doing this? My guess is that to get started, I just need to book a trip to somewhere I'd like to explore and just go - just do it....TRY to have an adventure and see what I make out with. OR I can travel with friends that do know how to find the good finds and explore when they're somewhere new...and follow their lead. I don't want to be the touristy tourist (with map and camera constantly in hand) - I want to be the laid back tourist that takes everything in, come what may.

If this doesn't sound right, I'm taking other suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment