Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Afros, Fat Guys and the Underdog

My husband is a simple man. He knows what he likes and he knows what he dislikes. He loves candy and frozen treats. He dislikes curry and the Cardinals. I often describe him as an abundance of baseball knowledge, especially when it comes to the Cubs. I guess I can relate in some way as I seem to be an abundance of useless 80s knowledge...we all have our quirks.

When it comes to cheering for our favorite sports teams, I have my Cowboys, he has his Bears; I have my Yankees, he has his Cubs. But when it comes to reality game shows, you can usually count on my husband to be cheering for the guy with the afro, the fat guy or the underdog. This is just something I've noticed about him in all the years we've been together.

For some reason, he is obsessed with afros - if he sees an afro (on TV, on the street), he will be the first one to point out, 'That's a cool afro.' I think he might have hair envy or something but if you've got an afro and you're on a game show, chances are, my husband is on your side. We often joke about getting him an afro to wear for Halloween....and during those conversations, I feel like I might be the only one that's joking.


When I was watching last season's Project Runway, my husband didn't watch with me but if he caught a glimpse while I was watching, who do you think he put his support behind? 'Fat' Chris, the costume designer. When Chris first got booted off the show, I let him know and he was a little sad but when they brought him back to replace Jack, he was all smiles. He was also happy to see Chris make it to the Final Four. It's not just Project Runway, but if you've got a fat guy on TV competing for something, chances are, my husband is on your side.

And of course there are the underdogs. He's a Cubs fan - that should tell you that he truly is a fan of the underdog. When we watch American Gladiators, we're alway cheering for the underdog...because you just never know.....and a few of them have managed to pull through. Maybe he can relate to the underdog and therefore feels the need to lend them his support. That's also why we love the Dodgeball movie so much, with it's lovable band of losers - because it is a true underdog story and they prevail in the end. If you're an underdog, you have my husband's support.

The only way you wouldn't receive my husband's support, if you fall into any of the three categories above, is if you're a total ass....if he even senses for a minute that you're a little full of yourself, he will drop you like a hot potato. But in a majority of cases, dudes with afros, fat guys and the underdog don't usually cop the 'tude - so it's all good.

1 comment: