Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Airports = Good People Watching

Apologies to readers for the delays in posting - I have been traveling for work and my partner in crime has been busy packing and moving. But I figured I'd better sneak in a good mid-week post....and it's all about my time at the airport.

Airports are great places for people watching, if you like that sort of thing. During the early morning and late day hours of the weekday, airports are usually filled with business travelers. But now with the summer season starting, you can find any type of species at the airport - student travelers, group tours, natives, foreigners, and family vacays.

With so many people roaming around the airport, you see a lot of things. For instance, I saw a woman that wore boots with no socks...this was in the security line, of course. She had taken off her 'cowboy' boots to run through the X-ray machine and when she went to go find a bench to put them back on, I noticed she wasn't wearing socks. This grossed me out.

While standing online at security and zig-zagging my way through, I noticed a woman that might have had a lawsuit pending on the work that was done to her face - at least I hope she had a lawsuit pending. Words would be hard to describe what I saw but I will certainly try as I wasn't fortunate enough to get a picture and to do so would've been too obvious. Let's start from the top - jet black hair...long...think Elvira, but not as nicely coiffed as that. Eyebrows - drawn in with big black bulbs towards the center and thinned out the farther you go, but uneven. Skin - leather. Eyes - bulging, with the most horrendous eye makeup...do you really color beneath the brows, skip the middle and go into the lids? Nose - fake. Lips - botox. Put together, it was a mess. But she came with her own size Double FF (my guess) flotation devices...good for her.

Those are just two of the people that really stood out in my mind....I did see a lot of Asian tourists, happily chomping away at their McDonald's meals! In fact, I saw a lot of Asian tourists in Chicago (that's where I was) itself...I know they have a fairly large Asian population but it was odd to me that there were all these tours going through the city full of Asians - especially at Harry Caray's....I wonder if they got some kind of deal? Cause I usually equate the Asian tourists to DC, NYC, Vegas, LA or San Fran....but I guess there's a lot to do in Chicago.

So next time you're at an airport, look around you - you'll be amazed at all the accents, passports and types of people you're surrounded by.

No comments:

Post a Comment