Thursday, April 24, 2008

Say Yes

When I first moved to D.C., I reconnected with a law school classmate, Staci. We had mutual friends in law school, but we were really more acquaintances in those days. I really couldn't have told you much about her, other than that she was a smarty pants because she made the Indiana Law Journal (I was not so lucky; then again, I didn't even try because my brother's wedding fell on the weekend before our entries were due).

I first hung out with Staci when I was visiting D.C. to look for apartments. It was the night of our friend Nancy's bachelorette party. Staci had a pre-party at her townhouse. I still remember what she was wearing. It was a cute light blue "shimmy shirt," which she immediately admitted was purchased from Wet Seal. I thought it was really funny because I knew she was making serious bank at her big law firm job. That part of the evening was the best, because I really got to know Staci, find out how friendly she was, and scored an invite to her next dinner party (whenever that would be).

The real dinner party invitation came after I was settled in D.C. I can't even recall how it arrived (via e-mail or phone). But I do recall one important fact: I said yes. And I said yes to everything Staci invited me to after that. I said yes when I was tired. I said yes when I was feeling a little under the weather. I said yes when I had a pile of laundry at home calling my name. "Yes" was the way to Staci's "A" list. It was the way we became not just friends, but good friends - "go to" friends.

Since becoming friends with Staci, saying yes has become somewhat of a mantra for me. Part of it is selfish: saying yes will get you more invites. Saying yes is also fun. I think about all of the times that I have been on the fence about doing something. Sometimes, staying home seems so much easier. But when I'm on the fence, I still say yes. And I would say 95% of the time, it ends up being a great decision. I have a good time, and I am so glad I went.

But there's more to saying yes than that. I appreciate when people throw parties and organize events. And I think they are putting themselves out there when they do it. I know that's how I feel when I host something. And when we host something like that, the worst thing that could happen is for no one to show up.

So don't worry. You've got my yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment