Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tough Decision: The Story of a Purchasing Dilemma

When I shop, I am pretty focused. I usually go to a store knowing what I need to get or have some kind of idea of what needs to be purchased. It really cuts down on my browse time and allows me to get other things done - because if I just walked around the mall aimlessly, I'd just be lost.

However, there are those RARE times where I do just want to walk around the mall aimlessly - just to browse. I really don't buy anything during these times but I get an idea of what's out there, price things out - you know, in case I ever find myself on 'The Price is Right' and I need to play some pricing game. If there's a really good sale going on somewhere, that might entice me to make some unplanned purchases.

Ballston Commons Mall is a fairly small mall with only one anchor store - Macy's. I would probably call this mall the 7-11 of malls....the convenience store, if you will. Wouldn't recommend making it your mall source for the fashion savvy but would consider it a place to grab that quick something if you can't run out to the regular mall. The real reason it wouldn't classify as a real mall is because it doesn't have the staples like Gap or Banana Republic. Instead you get lots of sneaker stores, a Victoria's Secret and a DEB (or G+G...you know what I mean).

I was recently at Ballston Commons - not for the last minute shopping - but for the NFL playoff game viewing at one of their many restaurant/bars. Because Virginia has not made it onto the 'No Smoking Indoors' list, I was in no rush to get to the bar to watch the game. Besides, it wasn't even the Cowboys game (this was pre-Cowboys game trauma). So I decided to walk around the mall and really see what it was like since I hadn't really ever looked around. Nothing really caught my eye - I did manage to sneak into the Victoria's Secret for their big semi-annual sale and it was here that I ran into my purchasing dilemma (I know, I know...you're thinking, 'Took her long enough!')

When I was in the checkout line, I was looking over the body lotions, body sprays, and other glittery things that were all on sale. Stuffed along with the body condiments was a pile of 'The Best of Spice Girls' CD. This is the one that they have been promoting along with their reunion tour. It was priced at a mere $4.99. I didn't know if this was on sale or if this is just what they were going for at Victoria's Secret. It really didn't matter - what mattered was I found myself in a quandary. Do I buy it and suffer embarrassment if people found out that I am an owner of the CD or do I pass because I have lived this long without any Spice Girls CDs and can certainly afford to keep going. FIVE dollars. What CD do you get for FIVE dollars?! I'll tell you what - people you've never heard of or a CD full of songs sang by amateurs. The CD certainly met my three song minimum requirement. And it's not like I hated their music (except 'Wannabe' - I really did hate that song). But the Best of Spice Girls...such a guilty pleasure.

I figured I could afford this time to think over the potential purchase since there was a pile of them there and I have about three Victoria's Secret stores in close proximity to me. But if I did move ahead with the purchase, wouldn't I want to tell people what a bargain I scored on this Best of CD? God, I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment