Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Things I Don't Need - A Study in Clutter

Surprise Surprise - it's another post from Amanda! I have crawled out of the hole I like to call my office to tell you a little bit about things I don't need. This might sound like a rant on my pet peeves, but it isn't. This is what I found when I did a little house cleaning, first to prepare my place for new carpet installation and then to stage it to put on the market. I think you might know what I'm talking about - that stuff that hangs around and gets moved from one drawer or one box to another. That stuff that you didn't even know you had but just can't seem to throw away. The thought of a burglary seems pretty awful, but wouldn't it be kind of nice if someone broke in and just stole all of that annoying stuff?

Here's my list:
  • Glasses case from about four prescriptions ago, sans glasses. Really. Why on earth do I need to hang onto this? When am I ever going to need it? I don't have any idea what happened to those glasses, but on the off chance I found them and decided to give them to charity, surely someone could donate a measly little case for them.
  • Plastic cap thingy that was probably on the edge of a dish drainer or something. Again, when am I going to need this? That dish drainer or whatever other thing it was probably was pitched ages ago. And even if it wasn't, what are the odds I'd take the time out of my day to go searching for a plastic cap thingy? Not good.
  • Elastic cord from a pair of workout shorts. This cord has been sitting in an old end table for quite some time now. Here's the deal: the fact that elastic cord has escaped from the workout shorts is a pretty good sign that the shorts were on their last legs anyway (no pun intended). I have no idea what shorts this thing belongs to, and I certainly wouldn't make an effort to reinsert the elastic cord even if I did.
  • Assorted movie and theater stubs. Some people like to keep this stuff for their scrapbook. And I think that's great. These people are probably uber organized and have a dedicated memento box or put these in the scrapbook immediately (or at least at regular intervals). I, however, am not one of these people. I'm the jackass that has a ticket stub for "Cast Away" moving from one pile to the next, making its way in and out of jewelry boxes and collections of hair ties. I don't even have a special affinity for "Cast Away." Simply put, there is zero reason for me to keep this stuff.
  • Buttons and thread. When was the last time you repaired a sweater with that little piece of twine they give you on a piece of cardboard? Exactly. Don't need it. Also, if I get to the point when I am replacing buttons on a shirt, please help me look for a new job. I don't mean to be wasteful or anything. But come on. I bet 90% of the extra buttons I have stashed around my house go to shirts and pants that have long since found other homes via Goodwill.

1 comment:

  1. I actually purchased a button and thread organizer/holder. I'd like to think of the thread/yarn thing as a sample of what you might have to get/give to the seamstress to help fix. And I do have all the buttons in one place in case I need to do a repair - and buttons come in handy from time to time - for home-made crafts (eyes for plate puppets)...you know.

    ReplyDelete