Monday, November 19, 2007

Precious Alien Children


For anyone that's ever walked into a Hallmark store or lives in Carthage, Missouri, you will know the phenomenon that is known as 'Precious Moments.' Maybe phenomenon is too strong of a word - but perhaps after reading this, you will agree that phenomenon is quite appropriate.

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, Precious Moments is really a religious empire built upon those cartoon children with the teardrop eyes and egg-shaped heads. They tug at your heart strings because they look so cute and innocent. Hallmark sells figurines of these children and the line has even extended the oblong heads and tear drop eyes to animals.

Each figurine serves a purpose - there are occasion figurines you can get for brides, grooms, bridesmaids, graduates, brothers (although I don't see a lot of guys going gaga over Precious Moments), sisters, friends, family, etc. And I'm only talking about big milestone occasions like graduation, communion, weddings, and births. But you can also find everyday figurines of just cute kids playing or having tea or with a cold. There are also greeting cards that have the Precious Moments characters on them. My MIL (aka - Mother-In-Law) recently sent me a Precious Moments anniversary card - it reads: "When God created marriage, He was counting on wonderful couples like you. You two make marriage look like the nicest thing that could happen to two people." The sentiment is definitely very nice - and of course, very Christian-like. Other products I have seen with the Precious Moments kids - cake cutter, cake stand, cake topper (all for a wedding, of course), cross stitch, dolls, and the list goes on.

The reason why I mentioned Carthage, Missouri is because that seems to be PM-HQ (Precious Moments headquarters) - where you will find Precious Moments Park and the Precious Moments Chapel. The creator of PM, Samuel Butcher, was so inspired by the Sistine Chapels, he had a PM Chapel built to it's liking. I believe this is a place where people go to experience a little piece of heaven on Earth - and pray - and stare at all the innocent looking egg-head children and animals. I have teetered on the idea of making a trip out there - just to take a look. Unfortunately, it seems to be in the middle of nowhere, so I doubt I'll ever make it. The park, though sounds like that Christian Amusement Park that Ned Flanders tried to resurrect after Maude died (reference: the Simpsons).

I, personally, think the characters are cute. However, I have heard people describe them as creepy, eerie and alien-looking. I think alien might be a little harsh but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All I know is that if it makes people happy, then I'm all for it.

1 comment:

  1. Precious Moments do not tug at my heart strings. They tug at my gag reflex.

    ReplyDelete