Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Coupons

Not to get on a rant or anything, but I hate coupons. I hate that my grocery receipt is five feet long because it's giving me these special printer coupons for a bunch of products I don't need. Really - what a waste of paper! I hate that every day, I open my mailbox to find some Macy's flyer with some special Macy's sale or some community value pack with special deals on oil changes and steam cleaning. And then I have these stupid coupons to keep track of - when do they expire, what's excluded, blah blah blah. I hate that because of these coupons, I can never truly, once and for all, get to the end of that ever growing junk mail pile . . .

And because I'm lazy and ill prepared, I never seem to have these coupons when I'm actually in the store. Oh no. Even though I get 10 Macy's coupons a week, when I make a little jaunt over there on a break from work (it's conveniently located across the street from my building) and find something I need or like, I say to myself, "Damn. I bet they had a coupon for this."

Sometimes, however, I do think ahead and carry the Macy's coupons in my purse. And sometimes, that is almost worse. Quite often, these are the coupons for $25 off a $75 purchase, etc. So you can't go into the store and buy just one thing (unless you're a big spender). You have to rack up enough items to get the discount.

Today, for example, I went into Macy's looking for a simple pashmina/scarf thing for an evening gown. The item was $50-some. I had cased the joint and picked it out the day before; I slept on it. It was a little more than I wanted to spend for something that will get such limited use, so I thought I would justify it with the $25 coupon. Well, that meant I wasted another 35 minutes looking for something to hike up the total. And it got to the point where I had to say to myself, "Really - do you really need to buy a $100 pair of pants just to use that dumb coupon?" The answer, I'm proud to say, is no. After desperately ransacking the Calvin Klein and Michael Kors racks (and even some I don't usually frequent), I ended up settling on a nice plain pair of black wool gloves. I can always use those, as I am known to misplace them.

But all of that added 35 minutes to an otherwise 5 minute errand. Coupons. Grrrrr!

1 comment:

  1. Something to note - those Bed Bath & Beyond coupons that you get every week, don't expire, even though there's an expiration date on them - and you can use multiple in one visit - so if you buy five items, you can use five coupons - it's pretty cool...so I usually man myself with at least five when I go to the store - you just never know what you're going to come out with!

    ReplyDelete