Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Catalogs Galore

I have come to learn that the previous owner of our house was quite the shopper - in fact, she was almost like a real personal shopper - she would buy things for others that didn't like to shop or didn't know what to purchase. This seemed to be a full time hobby for her. And because of this, our house has received a TON of catalogs from places that I've never even heard of, nor could have imagined to have a business (much less a catalog). I was simply amazed by some of the things that would come through the mail - but of course that didn't stop me from perusing the catalog and finding some ideas of my own....who knew that you could have a business based off of the english muffin (reference: Wolferman's - www.wolfermans.com)? Or that full meat or seafood meals could be purchased and sent directly to your door, ready made (reference: Pfaelzer Brothers - www.pfaelzerbrothers.com) - I thought Omaha Steaks took care of that.

But it goes beyond food - her catalogs span furniture, clothing, hardware, window treatments, and industrial products. I have even received the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog - for me, that was something I only got to look through via the Sky Mall catalog on the plane!

So I wanted to share some of the other catalogs I've received through the mail, thanks to Ms. June....and maybe you'll go through the list and think, 'who knew?!'

Soft Surroundings - tag line: 'my time. my place. my self.' I think it's like a Chico's - their target audience seems to be middle-aged women that like to dress like hippies.

Home Decorators Collection - tag line: 'where value and selection come home.' It's a nice array of upholstered chairs, traditional and modern furniture, and anything you can think of to decorate your house. Looks like a poor man's Pottery Barn - but the prices are still up there.

Cuddledown - tag line: 'Manufacturing Fine Home Fashions Since 1973.' 1973 was not that long ago. They've got linens, comforters, bed skirts, matress pads - and even some robes and cardigans - probably made out of the same stuff as their super soft blankets. I don't know - I would like to "feel" the comfort before I make a purchase.

Sundance - tag line: 'Founded by Robert Redford in 1969.' Yuppers - Robert Redford, as in 'the Natural.' The catalog sells everything from fashions to home fashions - There's kind of a Native American, Santa Fe turquoise feel to their clothing and jewelry - need cowboy boots? But RR needs money, apparently, so it's kind of expensive.

Garnet Hill - tag line: 'original designs in clothing and home decor.' Again, more clothing and home fashions at reasonable prices. I was drawn to the catalog because it had a picture of a pretty, deep purple hydrangea on the cover. I like pretty pictures.

Napa Style - tag line: 'Celebrate the Flavor of Life.' So, want to live in Napa or have that Napa style without actually moving to Napa Valley? This is the catalog for you - a whole slew of culinary tools and decorations - all at Napa prices - how convenient.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. I've got other catalogs for traveling clothes and gadgets (Travel Smith - www.travelsmith.com) - why do you need special travel clothes? Are regular clothes not good enough? I get the gadgets, not so much the clothes. And a whole catalog for silks - it's called Winter Silks (www.wintersilks.com) - who needs silk long johns? Doesn't having silk long johns defeat the purpose of wearing long johns - for layering and warmth? I asked my husband if he wanted some camouflage long johns for Christmas (as shown on page 17) - he said no. I guess you have to make some type of manly patterns available if you expect a dude to go around wearing silk long johns.

So many catalogs - so little time....just amazing how much is out there...how do these people stay in business, I wonder!

2 comments:

  1. From Pearl, in NYC: I use to love love love catalogs. Now I hate them. I used to get that stupid Robert Reford Sundance (and Garnet Hill) you mentioned in your post…and J Jill. I’m glad to be rid of them now. I used to get them years ago…who’d think they’d still be around today. And Sundance has expanded to offer furniture at not so affordable prices. Just b/c Mister Saggy B*lls is attached to the catalog doesn’t mean it’s quality stuff. Just like Anthropology offering over-priced furniture. What makes them the authority?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tired of catalogs, just like I am tired of coupons. I try to make a point to leaf through them immediately - then I can be done with them. But I did get a pretty cool on this season about Old Time Toys or something. They had the Evil Knieval toy in there - that was enough for me to keep it on hand!

    ReplyDelete