Thursday, August 23, 2007

Shoes That Won't Make It Into My Closet....

I heart shoes. I heart all kinds of shoes - flip flops, loafers, heels, patents, sneakers, dance, etc. My current obsession is t-straps. I think they're not only stylish but also spunky- it reeks of 'The Great Gatsby.' I recently purchased a pair of blue, patent leather t-straps. I can't wait for the Fall/Winter to wear them with skirts and jeans. Patents have been big over the past few seasons. The new trends in shoes seem to be animal skin and oxford heels (or lace up shoes with heels). I've seen articles on how snake skin is making a come back. I don't know about you but I didn't buy into it in the 80s and I surely won't be buying into it now. Maybe it's because I'm not that daring. I think there's a certain attitude that comes with carrying off animal-print and animal-skin clothing and shoes. I don't got it. I have some croc-skin loafers and heels - it's all one solid color, but that's as far as this girl goes. Animal-print? No thanks....I'll stick with the solids. As for the oxford heels, that really scream 'Bonnie and Clyde,' I don't think I'll be going with that trend either - I'll leave that to the bohos and the preppies.
With colors, I rarely venture into colors beyond black and brown. In the past two years however, I have expanded to gray, light tan, dark red and blue...but it's just one pair in each of those colors - I have to test the waters before I venture out to purchase more. I have to say that the grays have been a big hit with my wardrobe. Even the red strappy sandals I purchased have been great - I learned that you don't have to be wearing the color in the outfit to necessarily match your shoes. That was a big lesson.
I don't normally endorse places to make purchases but I have to say that I have been having LOADS of success at TJMaxx. I think I've purchased my last three pairs of shoes there and they've all been great. I think I'll be paying closer attention to the TJMaxx shoe section from now on. I think the same would go for their sister store, Marshalls.
Anyhow, my favorite website to see all different kinds of shoes and the latest trends is Nordstrom. That's the other place I tend to buy my shoes. I was looking at all these great shoes and some, not so great. I saw the animal prints, the snake skin, even some python skins - they were retailing for about $225. Are pythons harder to skin than snakes? Nevertheless, there were some shoes in there I wouldn't mind owning, but at over $200/pair and being a new homeowner, I think I'll have to start frequenting the Maxx a little more. (sigh)

1 comment:

  1. I think the key to pulling off a daring animal print shoe is to play down the rest of the outfit. A nice black turtleneck and a slim pencil skirt with a pair of leopard print stilletos - that's the direction to be headed.

    I feel the same way about leather pants. A few years ago, I got this idea that I wanted a pair of black leather pants. I had seen quite a few pictures of Elizabeth Hurley in them. This should have discouraged rather than encouraged me, but I went for it. And I realized the best thing to pair with them was a classic black cashmere sweater. Anything else was just desperate.

    I have a similar rule on revealing top/revealing bottom. One or the other, not both. Otherwise, you've gone from sexy to trashy, ala Britney Spears. A really low cut top and a micro mini - not a good look. A crew cut long sleeve top and a cute little mini skirt - sign me up!

    ReplyDelete