Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why Are Handlers Out of Shape?!

Last night had me struggling to stay awake as I was watching the 'Herding Group' of the Westminster Dog Show. This is my favorite group because it has my favorite dog, the Old English Sheepdog. A friend of mine had one growing up and my Mother's best friend had one too. A few years ago, there was an Old English Sheepdog that was at the top of his game at all the dog shows, Yoshii! I thought he was just so adorable with his fluffed up hair and barely-to-non visible eyes. And now I continue to call all Old English Sheepdogs Yoshii.

'Yoshii' did not disappoint last night - I liked watching him prance around the arena and constantly wondered if he really did have eyes! He ended up taking fourth place in the herding group...he lost to the 'rasta' dog (aka - the Puli) - the one that looks like a mop.

Anyway, as I was waiting patiently, and trying to keep my eyes open for 'Yoshii' to do his thing, I was looking at all the other dogs and how their handlers handle them and I had to wonder - why are there so many out of shape handlers? You would think because they have to train the dog, walk the dog, primp the dog and run up and down with the dog to show him off would have them in decent shape. I'm not saying all handlers are out of shape but some of them are. I wonder if it's bad that the handlers can't keep up with the dog while it's taking it's turn around the arena...does that hurt the chances of the dog winning, at all? Are the handlers sneaking snacks for the dogs and for themselves?

I just had to put that question out there - I asked my husband...he didn't know. I didn't pay attention to the handlers that actually won their breeding class but I'll have to take a look during best in show...how many 'out of shape' handlers actually make it to the 'big show.'

No comments:

Post a Comment