Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Night of People Watching...at a Cubs Game

Last night had me and my husband at Wrigley Field for a Cubs game. We were so excited about going - until a few days ago when the Cubs started going on a losing streak. We were able to witness the fifth loss in as many days.

But it wasn't the game that stoked my interest (because the Cubs couldn't hit to save their lives yesterday)...it was the people. We sat in a section where everyone seemed to know everyone else. I don't know if it was some kind of brotherhood of electricians (I only got electricians because some guy was wearing a sweatshirt that said 'Brotherhood of Electricians...') or just a group of guys that know eachother from coming to the games but I can honestly say that 95% of them were complete assholes. They showed up to the game drunk, they "watched" the game drunk and they left the game drunk. On top of the asshole status, there were ignorant assholes in the group that upon seeing that I was Asian, muttered 'Konichiwa' when I looked their way. I was SOOOO ready to smack them upside their heads...ignorant bastards! Thank goodness for the 5% (the two people sitting next to me) that were drinking soda and water like we were. But when they left in the middle of the game, I thought it was for good - and I got scared.

One guy was so drunk, he decided that his underage son should get drunk too. I would put his son somewhere between 16-18. Any which way, he was sitting directly behind my husband and the kid was drunk (surprise!). Not only that, he had a phlegm issue where he kept hocking loogies below his seat. My husband had me check his back a few times to make sure loogie shrapnel didn't make it onto his back.

Aside from the annoying drunk guys at the game (cause you're going to get that at every game, aren't you?!), there was a pluthera of people to watch and inwardly comment on at the game.
For instance, there were two girls that couldn't stop taking pictures of themselves. Honestly, they must've taken at least (AT LEAST) 100 pictures of themselves - those self-captured moments where they stick their heads together and click the button only to find, after flipping the camera over, that they were off-center or one of them didn't look as good as they hoped. Those girls were sitting a few rows down from us and I only noticed the picture taking because the flash was going off so much - I thought the paparazzi had followed me to the game!

There was a man - a very large man, that I spotted before the start of the game. The first thing that came to mind when I saw him was 'He could go on the Biggest Loser.' But then after observing him some more, I don't think he could make it through one episode - he had to lean on the rows of chairs just to descend the steps. And it was amazing to me how he even fit into a stadium seat....I was mesmerized - but then my husband told me to stop staring.

So I diverted my attention to what people were wearing...natch. Wow - if you ever wanted some acid wash or hair metal, shredded jeans, this was the place to find them. I haven't seen so much acid wash or shredded denim since 1993! This led me to believe that the youth of Chicago are kind of ass backwards- unless they're trying to bring those two things back...for God only knows. Oh yeah, and back to the underage drinker behind us - 'Marky Mark called - he wants his baggy jeans that sits below the ass back - but you can keep your nasty, plaid boxer shorts.'

Last night was the first night that I looked at my husband and said, 'I think I know what you mean now...I'm starting to hate people!'

No comments:

Post a Comment