Tuesday, May 27, 2008

P.S. - I Don't Love It

This past Memorial Day Weekend's activities found me doing a lot of house stuff - like getting the patio set and screened in canopy up and ready for the summer - all before Sunday afternoon when I had to be put on 24-hour bed rest... another story for another time.... so knowing that I would be confined to my bedroom for 24 hours, I prepared as best as I could by straightening up the house and signing up for a Blockbuster membership so I could rent some DVDs.

The two DVDs I rented - 'Death at a Funeral' and 'PS-I Love You.' I really enjoyed 'Death at a Funeral.' It starred the guy that played Mr. Darcy in the most recent 'Pride and Prejudice.' It was quirky and funny and I really enjoyed it. I saved 'PS - I Love You' for the second half of my confinement in hopes that it would make the time go by quicker. It did not. I kind of knew, from the get go, that I was not going to enjoy this movie.

Not sure if it was the fact that I'm not a Hillary Swank fan or the fact that I didn't like the idea of Hillary Swank married to my pretend boyfriend, Gerard Butler...but I think the opening scene of the movie where they are having a quarrel kind of screamed, 'Neurotic' to me...I'm talking about Hillary Swank. Her character talked in circles...she didn't make sense - and later in the movie, he calls her out on it...the fact that she makes no kind of sense.

The movie proceeds with how Hillary Swank's character copes with Gerard's death (via brain tumor) through a series of letters that Gerard has left for her....I guess he knew how neurotic she was that he needed to prep her for the year after his death by leaving her these letters....very kind and considerate husband. And in the end, THANK GAWD, she gets some direction and learns that she can move on and there will be other men out there to find her neurotic and love her for it.

All in all, it was definitely not my favorite rom-com, which saddens me because I do heart Gerard. I was really glad to see James Marsters (aka - Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) in something, post-Buffy. I did like her supporting cast of friends, Lisa Kudrow and Gina Gershon...but Hillary Swank? I think she needs to stick with the serious side of the business....no more rom-coms for you, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment