Sunday, October 14, 2007

Diary of a Boilermaker

For the past 10 years or so (ever since I graduated from college), Purdue's football team has been decent. Of course, this is in comparison to the "Colletto years," during which I attended Purdue. For those seasons, Purdue's only assured win in a season would be basically against a high school football team in August. Seriously. I am pretty sure Purdue was 11th place in the Big Ten at least once during my stay in West Lafayette.

But I am not sure which is worse. During the Colletto years, I faithfully attended either "Breakfast Club" or a football "Fire Up" at the fraternity with whom my sorority was paired for the season. We would enjoy some tasty beverages and head to our 50 yard line block of seats at Ross-Ade Stadium, causing a ruckus throwing plastic cups while we watched our team get pummelled. In those days, the most excitement from Purdue's offense was the occasional (and I do mean occasional) first down. By half-time, we were spent and headed home to crash.

Since Joe Tiller's tenure as the Purdue football coach, Purdue has been competitive. Purdue has been gloriously mediocre. The team has had moments of greatness, but more memorably, moments of heartbreak. Each year, I try not to get my hopes up, but when Purdue starts off its season 5-0, I can't help myself. Maybe this will be the year. Sadly, no. After losing to Ohio State at home last weekend, Purdue was spanked by the Wolverines at the Big House. Recall - this was the team that was beaten by Appalachian State - at home!! And yet, Purdue - a conference rival - couldn't get the job done. In fact, Purdue's performance was downright embarrassing.

Now, I know I am not the first sports fan to feel like my team is constantly breaking my heart. But I really don't get it. Why must Purdue always get spooked at the Big House? I think Purdue's last win there was in 1967 (or was it 1969? Does it really matter?).

It is tough being a Purdue fan.

1 comment:

  1. UGH!! I was at the darn OSU game sitting on the 50 yard line 32 rows back and the team craps out. I was so excited for an at least close game and nada! I was so excited this year and Painter has just choked at every big game. I'm still gonna watch 'em but my expectations have extremely lowered.

    ReplyDelete