Thursday, July 12, 2007

Drivers, Beware

I do enjoy a nice drive, sans traffic. In my relationship, I do the most driving. I don't mind. I only mind when we're driving after a long day at work and the passenger becomes a corpse and I'm left to my own devices to keep alert and get us to Point 'B' safely. But I digress.
Aside from going to and from work, I do most of my driving to and from New Jersey to put in face time with the family. I'm not going to lie. These drives are a little trying because the main road is I-95 which is the main interstate to get to just about any East Coast state. So I'm sharing road time with truckers, college kids, family vacation people, etc.
For the most part, people are OK on the interstate. The majority know that if you're not going over 70, to stay out of the left lane and if you're going to pass, pass quickly in the left and get back to your snail-like pace in the right. On occasion, there have been those snails that decide to camp out in the leftest most lane for no particular reason at all except that they think they should be there. They don't - but I am not a flasher to alert them otherwise...I tend to just ride up on their tail and wave my arms about like a madwoman and make pointing gestures to the right lane, yelling, 'You belong there!'
Snails aren't the point of this post. The crux of my issue lies upon arrival at the toll booth. EZ-Pass...it's a wonderful thing. For those that are unfamiliar, EZ-Pass is this little, white box that goes on your dash or windshield and it's computer-monitored to let you pay your toll via credit card and gets you through the toll booth without having to deal with toll collectors. It's great. Even the detectives on Law & Order use it when they want to find someone that has fled the city.
I look forward to breezing through the tolls and yelling 'See ya suckers!' to the long line of cars that are waiting to go through a toll collector. This excitement is short-lived, however, when you get drivers that camp out in front of the EZ-Pass lanes trying to figure out if they should go through or not. Word of advice - if you don't know what EZ-Pass is, chances are you don't have it. And as it dawns on them that they actually don't have EZ-Pass, I have to watch them cut their car to the right and wait for a kind soul to let them into a 'cash' lane before the rest of us EZ-Pass holders can proceed...just painful.
I know that everyone cannot get EZ-Pass but if you are able, I highly recommend it. And the next time someone stops short in front of an EZ-Pass lane when they really don't have EZ-Pass, you can be sure that I will be laying on my horn like that dead corpse I drive around sometimes. (I have road rage.)

1 comment:

  1. The worst is a dead corpse snorkling off into oblivion.

    ReplyDelete