Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Croc Me (Amadeus)

The newest warm weather fad out there seems to be these new croc shoes. In case you've been living under a rock, the crocs are colorful, rubber, clog-ish type shoes with holes on the top. You can find them just about anywhere....Nordstrom, Hallmark, Whole Foods, mall kiosks. That's a pretty wide range of sellers right there.
Moms and kids seem to be the biggest target market of the crocs, but I have seen men and their whole family decked out in the crocs. Purdue even has 'Purdue-colored' crocs available! But not only do you wear these crocs out to just about anywhere (although my Mom swears that they're only pool shoes, much to my nephew's chagrin), you can also customize and decorate your crocs with beading and charms via the holes that are on top of the crocs....amazing!
It's a fad - just like the jelly shoes before it. I think that crocs were made for women that are hiding their need for a pedicure. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that the crocs go away. Unfortunately, I think I am doomed to see them through the rest of the summer and fall of 2007...sigh.
On my most recent visit to New Jersey, I saw that my sister and one of my nephews have fallen victim to the croc rage. Unfortunately, I could not keep my distaste of the croc to myself. I told my sister that I didn't think I could allow her in my car with her crocs on. Of course blood is thicker than rubber, I think, so I let her in the car anyways. She swears that they're comfortable.
So I decided to educate myself a little more. I tried on a pair at my local Whole Foods store, while waiting for my husband to buy something. First of all, the way they have them all bunched up together and on double 'shoe hangers', it took awhile to find a pair in my size and in a color of my liking. Once I settled on moss green, I tried them on and thought they felt kind of 'prickly.' There are apparently little prickly things on the inside that I guess are there to massage your feet and/or perhaps exfoliate at the same time? I did not walk around the store in them as I had no peds on me (and no peds in recycled materials were available at the Whole Foods) but I slipped it on, wiggled my toes, and took them off.
Are they comfortable? Perhaps.
Would I wear them? If someone else bought them for me and probably just while gardening.
Will you now find me traipsing around DC in crocs? Not at all.

2 comments:

  1. I am skeptical about the crocs too. But comfortable or not, you just can't talk me into something that makes me look dowdy. Flat shoes are okay sometimes, but you can't convince me that crocs give a nice clean line that flatter the legs and booty. I saw some girl walking in front of me the other day in capri pants of an unflattering length with some really really flat flip flops. It made her look a little chubby, but I realized she wasn't. A little kitten heel would have done wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to admit it...but I own a pair. I've only worn them once. I walked around the financial district w/ my cousin last summer and got blisters (b/t my toes of all places!) from those darn things... Plus they trapped a lot of city dirt. I felt like a homeless person by the we got home.

    ReplyDelete