Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In the Fog of the 80s....

I am a child of the 80s. What a magical time that was....with Cabbage Patch Kids, Atari, Pac Man, My Little Pony, the Smurfs and Strawberry Shortcake. Of course there was plenty more but those are just some of the biggies.

I also loved the music - I think I love it more so now than I did growing up. It's so nostalgic and brings back a lot of memories of where I was or what I was doing at that time. One of my favorite bands was Tears for Fears. They just put out some cool stuff - 'Shout,' 'Head Over Heels' and my personal favorite, 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World.' I think I used to like them so much because one of the members of Fears for Fears reminded me of Peter Brady!

Curt Smith was the bassist and vocalist for Tears for Fears. By the time they hit it big in the US, he was not the lead vocalist (Roland was) - but he was the lead vocalist for 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World.' It's because of my love for 80s music that I am also infatuated with VH1-Classic. Every morning, Saturday and Sundays included, they play old videos and on the weekends, they even have programming called 'We are the 80s.' I recently saw the video for 'Everybody...' and I had to ask myself, 'Self - what the heck was I thinking?' Sure Curt Smith has a cute face (like Peter Brady) but why didn't I notice that foot-long rat tail he has growing in the back of his head? Why didn't I notice that he didn't exactly have the legs to pull off tight jeans/spandex? Was I so enamored of his cutie pie face that I just didn't think about all the rest of it?

Well, upon much reflection and a lot of 'What was I thinking....' I decided that I could ignore the rat tail and the unshapely legs and take solace in knowing that he looks so much better now (with short cropped hair and a little gray) and just enjoy the music. After all, it was the 80s - where just about everything was acceptable.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I was impressed with Tears' more recent hit "Sewing the Seeds of Love". Comebacks usually blow chunks (Britney ??) but this I likey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - "Sowing The Seeds" is really good.

    Speaking of VH1-Classic - it reminds me of MTV.

    Also a product of the 80s, I remember getting ready for the bus in the morning and seeing MTV play "Head Over Heels", "Take On Me" (a-ha), and "Search Is Over" (Survivor) back-to-back-to-back practically every morning at the same time. It was the last thing I'd see before heading to the bus stop.

    That was when MUSIC Television actually played MUSIC.

    What a concept.

    ReplyDelete