Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Did I Miss Something?

No one can doubt that the music off the 'Purple Rain' soundtrack was pretty phenomenal. Prince probably had some of his biggest hits off that album....'Let's Go Crazy,' 'When Doves Cry, ' etc. If not the biggest, then most certainly memorable. Not to mention all the great music from that other band featured in the movie - The Time (oh we oh we oh).

Honestly, I have never sat down and watched the 'Purple Rain' movie all the way through. I got the gist of the movie but I never really cared about watching it - I was OK with just knowing that there was good music.

Well, my favorite channel, VH1-Classic, has been showing the movie recently and I have yet to sit down and watch it all the way through but I did watch some parts yesterday....and from what I did watch, I'm wondering - is this movie supposed to be good? I mean he was very purple...was small back then like he was small when I saw him in London this year. I saw where he almost bitch slapped Appolonia by the train tracks (with that line from the Kanye West song: 'Back when Prince was with Appolonia, and OJ had Isotoners...' going through my head). And I even got to witness the scene at the end, when he's singing 'Purple Rain' and doing his weirdo round and round dance moves while he touches himself in all different places (the move mocked round the world). But none of what I saw could make me stay on the channel and watch more. I just really changed back to the movie when something else I was watching was on a commercial break in hopes of being able to catch a performance of one of the good songs.

The movie has become a cult-classic, I think. So other than the movie coming out with Grammy-worthy music, were there supposed to be Oscar-worthy performances in there?

2 comments:

  1. Oscar-worthy performances? Uh - no. That movie was a trainwreck. I saw it way back in 1985 at a sleepover at my friend Amy's house. She was the only friend I had in elementary school whose parents were divorced. She lived in an apartment building with her mother.

    My friend Kim Elliott and I rented it in college. The guy at Blockbuster made fun of us.

    Prince tries to be all brooding and serious, but the whole thing is just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually liked the movie. I mean, come on...did you see all the emotion he put into his performances at the club??? ;)

    ReplyDelete